2017-04-21 Space Vehicle Launch and Recovery Systems

Details about updates to Shores of Hazeron

2017-04-21 Space Vehicle Launch and Recovery Systems

Postby Haxus » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:15 am

With the ability to efficiently and safely deploy and recover fighters, these changes make space carriers truly functional. I regret that I did not finish vehicle transporters in this update; I wanted to.

Space Vehicle Launch System
Space vehicle launchers are now operational.
  • Call for launch using new Request Launch vehicle command. Default key binding is Shift+M. Any non-enemy vehicle can request launch.
  • Vehicle can be anywhere aboard the ship to call for launch. Does not have to be in a parking spot or special room.
  • Vehicle is moved/teleported to the launcher and launched after a pause of about 3 seconds.
  • Launch tube door is opened automatically. Vehicle launch pad vector must penetrate the door in the design to make this association.
  • Vehicle launches along the launch vector, unobstructed by the hull of the launching vessel. (Theoretically, no door or tube would be required, though this might seem weird and it has not been tested in this configuration.)
  • Exit velocity of the vehicle is 50m/s plus the length of the launch vector, in meters per second.
  • Launch lighting system effect begins at the exit end of the launch vector. The beam length is 500m.
  • Ship makes radio calls throughout this process, on the Hail channel, at Hail range.
Space Vehicle Recovery System
Space vehicle recovery systems are now operational.
http://hazeron.com/gallery/Landing1068.png
  • Call for landing using the Request Landing vehicle command. Default key binding is Shift+N. Any non-enemy vehicle can request landing. This will change to a ship policy but is not implemented yet; it is on my short list.
  • Vehicle must be within 5000m of the ship to call for landing.
  • When cleared for landing, the landing system is deployed. It appears as a virtual runway in space, numbers at the touch down end. The runway is 20m wide and 500m long.
  • To land, position your vehicle on the center line of the runway, between the blue lights at the sides. The runway is actually treated as a cylinder, centered on the white line, with radius at the blue lights. No particular speed or direction is required.
  • Hold your vehicle on the runway for a few seconds and the landing system will grab the vehicle and park it in an empty parking spot. To bring this all together, approach the runway at the landing end and fly along the center line until the system grabs you.
  • Ship makes radio calls throughout this process, on the Hail channel, at Hail range.
Space vehicle recovery system does not have to be in the hull extents of the ship design. It should be near the ship, so people can find it. There would probably be clipping errors if it was placed a great distance from the ship.

Vehicle Parking Icons
Icons used for vehicle parking spots were updated. This fixes a bug where the old icon depicted side views of vehicles and they were oriented incorrectly. Unfortunately, that means you will have to rotate any parking spaces you have already made, if you want the vehicles to face a specific direction. This may apply to launchers too, not sure off hand.

Space Rocket Parking Spots
A new kind of parking spot was added, for space rockets. Their dimensions and movement are so different from other airplane-like space vehicles that they needed their own spots.
  • Space rockets can land using recovery systems if an empty space rocket parking spot is available.
  • Space rockets cannot be launched using space vehicle launchers. Their characteristics make it more suitable to make launch doors directly above the parking spaces of the rockets. This won't really work until I get the remote door opener button to work on the new ships, a minor unfinished detail.
Pirate City Decay
Pirate city decay no longer requires 100% loyalty. (Thanks Deantwo. :oops: ) Instead, an uncontested pirate city will decay 3 days after the last change to any of its flags. That means you have three days from the time a city revolts to save it. Pirate decay happens quickly once it starts.

This also means that a three day delay in pirate decay will occur when each of the city's flag points decays, if it has any, other than the town square.

Server Crash
There has been a smattering of server crashes over the past few days. They were all caused by a recent change to AI pathing. It is fixed.

Bank Shop Space Snafu
Banks now require shop space in their design because they can manufacture money. Due to an oversight, there was no way in the building designer to add shop space to a bank, making it impossible to design a bank. That is fixed. You can now add shop space to bank designs.

Autopark
Autoparking of vehicles is working in new ship designs now. Stop the vehicle in it's parking spot, more or less, and the autopark system will move and rotate it to where it belongs.
Haxus
Site Admin

Re: 2017-04-21 Space Vehicle Launch and Recovery Systems

Postby Deantwo » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:26 pm

Haxus wrote:Space Vehicle Launch System

Space Vehicle Recovery System

Cel, get to work on adding that to the wiki!
Maybe make a new page for both, or two separate pages.
EDIT: I made the pages, now to actually write something on them.
Haxus wrote:Space Rocket Parking Spots
A new kind of parking spot was added, for space rockets. Their dimensions and movement are so different from other airplane-like space vehicles that they needed their own spots.
  • Space rockets can land using recovery systems if an empty space rocket parking spot is available.
  • Space rockets cannot be launched using space vehicle launchers. Their characteristics make it more suitable to make launch doors directly above the parking spaces of the rockets. This won't really work until I get the remote door opener button to work on the new ships, a minor unfinished detail.

Awesome!
But what about helicopter? Could use the same parking spot type maybe?

The way that "space vehicles" have a generic parking spot, I am guessing they aren't automatically filled anymore?
Does that mean we have to manually park the vehicles that we want on board?

Still hoping that vehicles becomes kinda like commodities someday, so we can just buy vehicles.
See: (Idea thread) Vehicle Factory production change

Haxus wrote:Pirate City Decay
Pirate city decay no longer requires 100% loyalty. (Thanks Deantwo. :oops: ) Instead, an uncontested pirate city will decay 3 days after the last change to any of its flags. That means you have three days from the time a city revolts to save it. Pirate decay happens quickly once it starts.

This also means that a three day delay in pirate decay will occur when each of the city's flag points decays, if it has any, other than the town square.

You're welcome. ^^

Were you able to make it add a dossier entry? So that we actually notice that they just revolted?
Last edited by Deantwo on Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
I invalidate your reality and wait for it to be refreshed.
Deantwo

Postby Ikkir Isth » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:56 pm

Deantwo wrote:The way that "space vehicles" have a generic parking spot, I am guessing they aren't automatically filled anymore?
Does that mean we have to manually park the vehicles that we want on board?

Pretty sure that vehicles are going to be editable/creatable as well, so vehicles will, by necessity, need to be loaded and assigned later to however big of a section/pad they can fit on (and I would have them be in the ship cargo with the ability to deploy them to a hangar space... and the ability to create them in an in-ship workshop and deploy/store them as well).

As far as how to deal with the differences in launching (fighters, helicopters, rockets), whatever generic system needs to take that into account, whether its rotation of objects on launch, certain launch vectors/situations for VTOL only things, or something where theres different options and its up to the player to figure out where to launch their rocket from in order not to paint the walls.
Making things with OpenGL: Image
Working on- an exploration game.
@Ikkir_Isth
Ikkir Isth

Postby Haxus » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:56 pm

so we can just buy vehicles

That is on my short list. You will have to decide to load them. They will not be loaded automatically in the new ships.

dossier entry?

Also on my short list.
Haxus
Site Admin

Postby Celarious » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:56 pm

Awesome update!
Celarious

Postby QuakeIV » Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:58 pm

Woohoo, my financial institutions shall pierce the heavens!
I wish my grass was emo, then it would cut itself.

Vae Victus
QuakeIV

Postby Celarious » Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:34 am

Just to mention that the Estimated Construction Materials are still blank. It just lists "Commodity" without a number on nearly every commodity except metal
Celarious

Postby Haxus » Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:38 pm

Turkey Sandvich posted this video demonstrating the vehicle launch and recovery system. I also put a link to it on the Gallery page.
Haxus
Site Admin

Postby ResonKinetic » Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:13 pm

Haxus wrote:Turkey Sandvich posted this video demonstrating the vehicle launch and recovery system. I also put a link to it on the Gallery page.

that's so cool looking
NUMBERZero wrote:You would expect Syndicate to have anything less than TL32?

Ross: "I just wonder what Haxus' philosophy on open-source code is."
Ikkir: "I'm pretty sure his philosophy is 'get fucked.'"
ResonKinetic

Postby Celarious » Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:17 pm

ResonKinetic wrote:
Haxus wrote:Turkey Sandvich posted this video demonstrating the vehicle launch and recovery system. I also put a link to it on the Gallery page.

that's so cool looking

Yeah! The landing runway looks amazing!
Celarious

Next

Return to Updates