2017-04-17 Designer

Details about updates to Shores of Hazeron

2017-04-17 Designer

Postby Haxus » Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:05 am

Disjoint Design Error
Some designs reported parts as being separate from the hull when they were clearly not separate. This was quietly causing some designs to never finish being built. Fixed an error at the margins of hull parts. The fix affects all designs with no need to finalize them over again.

No Hull Margin Bug
On some new designs, I can move exactly next to the hull polygons and see through. There is no margin. This was a symptom of the bug that caused the disjoint design error.

Design Build Time Estimate
Design analysis of new designs now gives an estimate of the amount of time needed to manufacture the design.

Design Report Big Numbers Bug
When designing a very large spacecraft, some of the numbers turn negative. This formatting error was fixed. Internally the numbers were ok.

Design Report Big Numbers Format
Big numbers get expressed in scientific notation. This is an internal default format for large numbers that few people can read sensibly. Big numbers are now reported with all their zeros.

Build Times
Build time on the largest of the new designs was taking years. I made some adjustments to the manufacturing of things. This change affects all manufacturing processes, not just those making spacecraft.
  • Building tech level now reduces manufacturing time, by 5% per tech level.
  • Labor per second was doubled, used to calculate completion time of manufacturing processes.
This change does not affect processes that are already running. When they finish their current run, the next run will calculate its completion time using the new labor per second rate and current building tech level.

These were my test cases.
  • A very large spherical hull, 116M cu meters, minimally equipped to be a complete functioning spacecraft, was estimate is just over 33 days build time.
  • Atlantis, TL25 design, 2.5M cu meters, seen in a lot of screen grabs also my forum avatar icon, estimated at about 1.5 days.
  • Turbo X2, TL1, estimated at just over 3 minutes.
Subterranean Streamline Nerf
The subterranean streamlining option was removed. It will be a while before I am ready to develop that.

Server Crash
Fixed a bug that caused the server to crash when NPCs were pathing to a ladder in an old ship design.

Server Deadlock
Fixed a bug that caused a server deadlock sometimes when a turbo lift moved its contents, depending on what was in the lift.
Haxus
Site Admin

Re: 2017-04-17 Designer

Postby Deantwo » Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:04 am

Haxus wrote:Design Build Time Estimate
Design analysis of new designs now gives an estimate of the amount of time needed to manufacture the design.

I was gonna suggest that, so cool.

Haxus wrote:Build Times
Build time on the largest of the new designs was taking years. I made some adjustments to the manufacturing of things. This change affects all manufacturing processes, not just those making spacecraft.
  • Building tech level now reduces manufacturing time, by 5% per tech level.
  • Labor per second was doubled, used to calculate completion time of manufacturing processes.
This change does not affect processes that are already running. When they finish their current run, the next run will calculate its completion time using the new labor per second rate and current building tech level.

These were my test cases.
  • A very large spherical hull, 116M cu meters, minimally equipped to be a complete functioning spacecraft, was estimate is just over 33 days build time.
  • Atlantis, TL25 design, 2.5M cu meters, seen in a lot of screen grabs also my forum avatar icon, estimated at about 1.5 days.
  • Turbo X2, TL1, estimated at just over 3 minutes.

This is interesting.
So I guess that a process that used to take 5 seconds, such as ore mining, will now take take even less time?
Also, research will be twice as fast I guess.
AnrDaemon is the solution to the [s]Fermi Paradox[/s] Hazeron suggestion flood problem, the great suggestion filter.
Deantwo

Postby Haxus » Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:38 am

It really doesn't affect the quick processes very much. You have probably noticed there is a ten second pace to manufacturing processes.

RnD will probably take about 1/2 the time. This may require some attention.
Haxus
Site Admin

Postby Deantwo » Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:51 am

Haxus wrote:RnD will probably take about 1/2 the time. This may require some attention.

Not to mention TL bonus you mentioned.
AnrDaemon is the solution to the [s]Fermi Paradox[/s] Hazeron suggestion flood problem, the great suggestion filter.
Deantwo

Postby Celarious » Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:34 am

Awesome update, but I notice that some estimated construction materials on the Design Properties don't show. Electronic parts, Mechanical parts, Plastic, Textiles

Is that intentional? Just curious
Celarious

Postby Haxus » Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:59 am

It was not intentional. I'll check it out.
Haxus
Site Admin

Postby Ikkir Isth » Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:06 pm

Haxus wrote:It really doesn't affect the quick processes very much. You have probably noticed there is a ten second pace to manufacturing processes.

RnD will probably take about 1/2 the time. This may require some attention.

Side note: at the universe start in Syndicate I managed to get TL32 in most everything important in... I think around 2 weeks? It certainly doesn't take long if you know what you are doing.

Of course, that itself may just be up for whatever research revamp debate happens whenever.
Making things with OpenGL: Image
Working on- an exploration game.
@Ikkir_Isth
Ikkir Isth

Postby Ikkir Isth » Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:58 pm

Also note: closest comparable game on build times is EVE:
Titans (biggest ship) in EVE take ~8 weeks to build, not including components necessary for their manufacture.
http://eve.wikia.com/wiki/Titan
(closest thing to components necessary would be ship modules having to be produced separately and slotted in at manufacture, including engines and all that rot)
Making things with OpenGL: Image
Working on- an exploration game.
@Ikkir_Isth
Ikkir Isth

Postby Celarious » Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:14 am

Haxus wrote:It was not intentional. I'll check it out.

Here's a screenshot for evidence;

Celarious

Return to Updates