2017-04-14 Pirates and Turbo Lifts

Details about updates to Shores of Hazeron

2017-04-14 Pirates and Turbo Lifts

Postby Haxus » Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:02 am

Pirate Encounter Conditions Changed
Pirate encounters and behavior changed in the following ways.
  • Probability of pirate encounters is no longer reduced by the number of cities in a solar system.
  • Pirate encounters are only triggered by spacecraft outside any ADIZ and outside the atmosphere zone of any world.
  • Pirates will not pursue spacecraft into an ADIZ. They will break off their pursuit if their prey enters an ADIZ.
  • Pirates will not pursue spacecraft into the atmosphere zone of a world.
Turbo Lift Design Changed
A change was made to the way turbo lifts are designed.
  • The room void inside the lift is now stored on the lift, as a state.
  • To make a turbo lift, you now must select a room mesh, a room void, and a door jig.
  • It is no longer meaningful to associate a room void with a turbo lift.
To change an existing turbo lift to the new design method:
  • Using the parts list, add the 'Room Void' state to the turbo lift.
  • Add a volume of faces to the room void state to represent the room void inside the lift car. It must form an air tight shell with no holes. Color and transparency of these faces has no effect on the void's behavior.
  • Delete the free-standing room voids that were previously required at each turbo lift stop.
Blocked Doors
Doors will no longer close if any object is in the void space associated with the door's open state. This prevents things from getting stuck. It also prevents movement of a turbo lift until the doors are clear.

Door Creation
When a door is created, the open state of the door is now automatically created.

Assembly Report Parts List
Assembly drawings now show their parts list in the design report. The format is very similar to the appearance of the parts list UI, sorted by name.

Cannot Add Faces to Existing Turbo Lift Car
Fixed a bug that prevented the turbo lift car mesh from accepting new faces that the architect might try to add, through drawing or pasting.

Orient When Stuck In New Ships
Under certain stuck conditions in the new ship designs, your avatar is forcibly oriented to the ship, facing forward, and you cannot turn. That was fixed. The result is your body no longer auto-orients to any ship, even old ones, if you are floating free of any ladders and not touching the floor. Your body no longer auto-orients in an atmosphere if you are not touching the ground, unless you can fly or you are a jumper.

Fabric Texture
A repeatable fabric texture was added, simply called Fabric. It is neutral in color so you can easily tint it using paint. This was added to the default texture palette, replacing the rusty metal floor plate.

Transporter Pad Locations
The designer has a new command to set the locations of the transporter pads of a selected transporter station.

Weapon Emit Location
The designer has a new command to set the emit location of the weapon of a selected fire control console.

Human Other Architects
Through copy and paste in the off line designer, it was possible to end up with parts that claimed to be made by a different architect, named Human. Those bogus entries will go away when you load the file and they should not return.

NPCs Stuck Against Wall
NPCs have a better sense for when they are stuck against a wall, so they can try to get away.

Move Door Breaks Switches
Fixed a bug that caused movement of a door, with default switch locations, to break the switch locations.

Room Names
Room names in the new designs now show up properly where appropriate: Unit Orders UI, Spacecraft Berths UI, Locator Compass UI, and last known whereabouts.

Cannot Order Distant Crew
My new ship is large enough that crew can be aboard but far enough away to be excluded from my scene. This causes them to not show up on the Unit Orders UI. This was fixed.

Turbo Lift Time Delay
When a turbo lift moves, there is now a ten second delay before it can move again.

Turbo Lift Fail Feedback
Turbo lift now gives feedback thoughts if it fails to function because it is not ready to operate again (10 sec) or if a door is jammed open or blocked open.

Barrier as Floor
Barriers now act as a floor. This greatly simplifies the process of making ramps and stairs inside a room void.

Location Incorrect on Unit Orders UI
As NPCs move about the ship, their location was not being updated on the Unit Orders UI. That is fixed.

NPCs Use Turbo Lifts
NPCs will now use turbo lifts to get around inside a spacecraft.

NPC Pathing Improvements
Fixed some bugs and made improvements to the pathing logic of NPCs in the new ship designs. They are very good at getting where they want to go now.

Unfortunately, there is a long delay while they plan their path, most noticeable if you tell a dozen crew to go somewhere all at the same time. The delay is due to a function that does some hard work. It remains on my list for performance improvement because it will be used frequently and it needs to be fast.
Haxus
Site Admin

Re: 2017-04-14 Pirates and Turbo Lifts

Postby Edward Teach » Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:52 am

All great changes. I lost a shuttle of officers to pirates just this morning so the pirate changes are great. Did you happen to see the discussion on a new tiny universe for the the more PVP-oriented players?
We need to make Hazeron great again.
Edward Teach

Postby expert700 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:26 pm

It seems like the update has messed up lighting. There's lots of wild flickering with planets.
expert700

Postby Phenoix12 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:30 pm

expert700 wrote:It seems like the update has messed up lighting. There's lots of wild flickering with planets.

Same. Even tried restarting the game but it didn't help.

Odd thing is that on my planet is looks like buildings are lighted properly... it's just everything else in the world that's freaking out.
Phenoix12

Postby Haxus » Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:35 pm

I did not work on any render code but have observed a lighting bug. I will get right on this.

Were any of the new design ships in the area?

Win64 I assume.
Haxus
Site Admin

Postby expert700 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:38 pm

Haxus wrote:I did not work on any render code but have observed a lighting bug. I will get right on this.

Were any of the new design ships in the area?

Win64 I assume.

Yes, there are multiple new design ships in the area, and yes I'm on Win64. If it helps at all, the interior of the new ships isn't flickering.
expert700

Postby AnrDaemon » Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:38 pm

And what exactly "ADIZ" stands for?
Yak. Yak never changes.
AnrDaemon

Postby Haxus » Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:41 pm

Air Defense Identification Zone

In SoH, these correspond to the sensor coverage areas of all cities and stations.
Haxus
Site Admin

Postby AnrDaemon » Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:15 pm

Thanks.
Yak. Yak never changes.
AnrDaemon

Postby Haxus » Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:45 pm

Update to the update.

Flickering Render Scene
Fixed a bug that caused the scene to flicker madly.

Comm From Distant Galaxy
Comm messages from a distant galaxy now report the galaxy's name on the tool tip. It was being reported on the web page so why not report it in the game?
Haxus
Site Admin

Next

Return to Updates