2017-04-07 Doors and Turbo Lifts

Details about updates to Shores of Hazeron

2017-04-07 Doors and Turbo Lifts

Postby Haxus » Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:27 am

Doors
The locations of the door switches for doors in the new designer are now visible when edge lines are displayed, appearing as a 3D X of line segments. There are two switches for each door. The default location is at the center of the door geometry.

Door Switches
The center of the door geometry doesn't always work so there is now a command to position the door switches of a door. This only specifies the locations. It is recommended that you make something that looks like a door switch when you do this, so people have a hint where to click. The door switches can be anywhere. They don't have to be near the door or even in the same room.

Automatic Doors
Automatic doors now open when you are near one of their switches and they close afterwards. Hull doors and locked doors are not automatic; they will not open or close automatically.

This is a slight change over the behavior of automatic doors in the old designs. In those ships, the door does not open until something actually hits it. In the new designs, they open when a creature is near them.

Doors Init Closed
When a ship is manufactured from a new design, all doors are initialized to the closed state. Previously, they started in the state they were left in the designer, which kept letting all the air out of my new ships.

Turbo Lifts
Turbo lifts are now functional. The rules for creating them changed slightly.
  • The room void at each stop must be named to match the stop name. Those room voids must be associated with the turbo lift.
  • The door at each stop must be named to match the stop name.
  • The finalizer gripes if you don't do these things.
NPCs don't know how to use turbo lifts yet. NPC pathing in new ships is probably my topic of the week starting Monday.

Finalize
The finalize process got more picky. It will now report more things that it doesn't like and it will warn about more things that might need attention. The huge block of warnings when your ship was too big to build on the ground was reduced to one single warning.

Network Sync Glitch
Working on the turbo lifts forced me to fix a network communication bug that's been around for ages. It happens when the server makes an assertive position or rotation change to an object controlled by the client and the client misses the change, sometimes with catastrophic results, like wormholing into the center of a sun for example, or being left behind when the turbo lift moves to the next stop. Observed symptoms might include transporter teleport and arriving rotated strangely, scene changes that glitch back/forth for a frame, exiting design studio and ending up in a deadish state, exiting a vehicle and ending up in orbit, suffocation while copulating, to name a few off hand.

The result is subtle; old timers may notice. I find myself noticing scene glitches that didn't happen, where they used to happen sometimes. Now you get a slight pause in your ability to control your dude or vehicle or ship when that glitch would have happened.

ATC Confusion
ATC says sensor contact lost when I stop at the station. The wording is changed in that case, to not imply that you are no longer seen on sensors.

Finalize Buttons
Finalize buttons now show the name of the design as a helpful reminder, in case you like to include a version identifier of some kind in finalized designs.

Console Identifiers
The way consoles and turrets are identified internally was fixed. NPCs will no longer double up with an empty console or other NPCs at consoles at the same location. This affects the consoles and turrets aboard spacecraft and in buildings. To really get this right, the NPCs currently sitting at consoles would need to stand and sit back down.

This also stops crew from all going to the same console in the new ship designs.

Part Names and Associations
I added some text at the end of the usage tips that explains what parts use names and why. I also added a section explaining which parts use associations and why.

Notify @Avatar
Added a notification option to only pop up the window if your avatar name is preceded by @.

Texture Wrap Guidance
Texture wrapper can now be guided using the grid. There are options on the window to do this.

Gravity Bug
Fixed a bug that caused the gravity direction to be wrong in rooms where up was not (0,0,1).

Game Table Model
Game tables now appear in the new ship designs. You can't sit there yet but the table and chairs are there.

Spot Ship Class
The spot description of a spacecraft no longer includes its class name; to reduce the wall of text. This is the description seen when you push the ` key. It also appears in other places.

Unable to Lock Onto Safe Void
Improved the code for locating void spaces inside the new ship designs, when transporting aboard them. Fixed a problem when agent teleporting a new ship design, that caused Gadwin to get this error when trying to beam aboard my ship.

Consoles Missing
Consoles on new ships can now be seen when viewed from the outside, through the windows.

Startup Image
The startup image when launching SoH was updated.

Launcher Update
Launcher was updated with some new pictures. No code was changed at all. There is no need to get the updated launcher unless you want the newer pictures.
Haxus
Site Admin

Re: 2017-04-07 Doors and Turbo Lifts

Postby Celarious » Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:33 am

Woo, more things working! Awesome update once again :P
Celarious

Postby Haxus » Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:41 am

Celarious wrote:more things working!

The long night is almost over.

NPC pathing is next. The engine room of the Atlantis is accessed using a turbo lift. My engineers can't get to their stations so they decide they're stuck and commit suicide. :roll:
Haxus
Site Admin

Postby tackeart » Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:55 am

Woohoo, updates! I like the username mention upgrade. :D

Door switches and turbolifts are great.. making spheres of doom will be easier when the entrance isn't halfway up the ship. :P I wonder if it's plausible to mess with hull voids or room voids in order to make a turbolift entrance to the ship instead of a hull door. :geek:

Oh well. Great update anyways.

[quote=Haxus]My engineers can't get to their stations so they decide they're stuck and commit suicide. :roll:[/quote]

This is worthy of a sig. :lol:
I like space and space accessories.

Quote of the century:

My engineers can't get to their stations so they decide they're stuck and commit suicide. :roll:
tackeart

Postby Haxus » Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:14 am

make a turbolift entrance to the ship

If you mean to have a hull door that goes directly into a turbo lift, that should be quite possible. In fact, it was intended to work. I can think of no technical reason why it wouldn't.
Haxus
Site Admin

Postby tackeart » Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:21 am

I was thinking more a turbolift which lead straight out of an opening in the hull, without a door. Does the new designer have a method for hull openings, in the old designer sense? (Io tubes and all.)

That'd be more what I was thinking of.

Thanks for responding. :D
I like space and space accessories.

Quote of the century:

My engineers can't get to their stations so they decide they're stuck and commit suicide. :roll:
tackeart

Postby Celarious » Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:26 am

tackeart wrote:I was thinking more a turbolift which lead straight out of an opening in the hull, without a door. Does the new designer have a method for hull openings, in the old designer sense? (Io tubes and all.)

That'd be more what I was thinking of.

Thanks for responding. :D

Launch tubes? Pretty sure those work as openings
Celarious

Postby Deantwo » Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:28 am

Haxus wrote:Network Sync Glitch
Working on the turbo lifts forced me to fix a network communication bug that's been around for ages. It happens when the server makes an assertive position or rotation change to an object controlled by the client and the client misses the change, sometimes with catastrophic results, like wormholing into the center of a sun for example, or being left behind when the turbo lift moves to the next stop. Observed symptoms might include transporter teleport and arriving rotated strangely, scene changes that glitch back/forth for a frame, exiting design studio and ending up in a deadish state, exiting a vehicle and ending up in orbit, suffocation while copulating, to name a few off hand.

The result is subtle; old timers may notice. I find myself noticing scene glitches that didn't happen, where they used to happen sometimes. Now you get a slight pause in your ability to control your dude or vehicle or ship when that glitch would have happened.

Background fixes like these are the best!
Will this also fix the major piloting desync?
See: (Bug report) Binary star system toss around space craft

I'll try it when I get back from vacation.

Haxus wrote:Console Identifiers
The way consoles and turrets are identified internally was fixed. NPCs will no longer double up with an empty console or other NPCs at consoles at the same location. This affects the consoles and turrets aboard spacecraft and in buildings. To really get this right, the NPCs currently sitting at consoles would need to stand and sit back down.

This also stops crew from all going to the same console in the new ship designs.

This sounds awesome.
They now claim the console before going to it?

Haxus wrote:Notify @Avatar
Added a notification option to only pop up the window if your avatar name is preceded by @.

I guess that helps, but are you able to make it only popup if the message was sent from an avatar?
Capturing an enemy spacecraft is currently a nightmare, sooo many popups.

Haxus wrote:Spot Ship Class
The spot description of a spacecraft no longer includes its class name; to reduce the wall of text. This is the description seen when you push the ` key. It also appears in other places.

Not sure I like this change. Won't be able to tell two ship designs apart this way.
I invalidate your reality and wait for it to be refreshed.
Deantwo

Postby Celarious » Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:31 am

Deantwo wrote:
Haxus wrote:Spot Ship Class

Not sure I like this change. Won't be able to tell two ship designs apart this way.

You will, if they're not using the same ship name
Celarious

Postby Haxus » Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:35 am

Won't be able to tell two ship designs apart this way.

I wondered if anyone would miss it. I can put it back easily enough.

I could go after a to-do item that's been in my list forever, that is to be able to specify what bits of information you want when you spot things.
Haxus
Site Admin

Next

Return to Updates