Update 2017-03-31 Designer

Details about updates to Shores of Hazeron

Update 2017-03-31 Designer

Postby Haxus » Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:25 pm

Speed of Freight
Speed of freight was increased from 2x light speed to 5x light speed, which is equivalent to warp 1.

Broker TL
Speed of freight is now increased by shipping broker TL, at 5% per TL.

Spindle Axes
Designer spindle command now lets you pick which of the X, Y or Z axes to spin around.

Generic Mesh Parts
Design menu now has commands for drawing generic meshes. These are useful for creating things like furniture inside of rooms. These are the same generic mesh type objects that you get when importing a 3DS file. Now you can create them from scratch.

Parts List Sort
Parts list can now sort on the V, L, O and S columns. Previous attempts to do so did nothing.

Berth/Game Table Cursor Bug
Cursor rotation was incorrect when placing berths or game tables in rotated grid planes.

Parts List Lag Spike
Parts list was inducing a lag spike once per second. It got steadily worse as the size of the model increased, until it became unbearable. That is fixed.

Isolated Object Mode
Object mode now has an option to isolate the part(s) being edited. This causes all unselected parts to be hidden from view. There is a new button for this on the designer tool bar, next to the object mode button. There is a new menu command for this on the Object menu.

Go To Selected
The View menu now has an option to teleport yourself to the selected part(s) in the designer. You are moved to the average center of the selected parts. This is very helpful when trying to find small parts somewhere in a large design.

Flatten Grid Plane
The command to orient the grid plane now has an F key option to flatten the grid plane to 0,0,0 rotations, without changing its current origin.

Flip Grid Plane
The command to orient the grid plane now has X, Y and Z key options to flip the grid plane around an axis, without changing its current origin.

Recovery System Texture Missing
Space vehicle recovery system was only showing edge lines in the designer. The texture was missing. This is fixed.

Report Vehicle Launcher Bug
My report says I have three space vehicle launchers but I only have two and my space vehicle recovery system is not reported. Fixed a bug that tallied space vehicle recovery systems as launchers.

Turbo Lift Snap/Drag Bug
When a stop of a turbo lift was dragged away from the starting point, it no longer acted right when snapping to it or attempting to drag it, making it nearly impossible to work with. This was fixed.

Symmetrical Copy Axis
Symmetrical copy command now lets you choose which X, Y or Z axis to copy along.

Align Selected Objects
A new Edit menu command was added to align selected objects. This offers a method to precisely move objects when the move includes 3D rotation. The command waits for you to align the grid plane to a reference on the selected parts. Then you orient the grid at the new location and complete the command. The selected parts or part objects are moved and rotated accordingly.

This can easily be accomplished by using cut/copy/paste, since the grid plane is the reference. However, turbo lifts must be moved to each of their stops; they cannot be cut and pasted. I found this command to be very helpful when moving turbo lifts to stops where the new location was weirdly rotated.

Hello in Designer
Shift+R starts rotating the selected objects in the designer. It is also the default key command to say, "Hello." That key command is now disabled when in the designer.

Glow Applied to Unselected Faces
Previously, the glow command applied the glow to all selected vertexes. It now only applies the glow to selected vertexes on selected faces, which provides a little more control.

Gravity Relative to Grid Z
A gravity option was added when making room voids, or setting their properties, to set the gravity up direction to match the current +Z axis of the grid plane.

Jig, Door
Jigs of all types now show up in the parts list as "Jig, Type". This groups them together when sorted by name, so their visibility can be turned on/off as a group conveniently.

Gravity Button Down But No Gravity
If the G button is already down when you start the off line designer and you load a design from a .SoH file, there is no gravity until you toggle the button. This was fixed.

Building a Turret
Building a turret involves two steps, the definition of the station and the definition of the gun. Those things now give some positive feedback when successful. Previously, nothing appeared to happen at all.

Turret Emit Indicator Lines
Lines showing gunfire emit location on a turret gun were changed to show the precise emit location. Previously, the dashed lines started with a blank space, so you couldn't see that it emitted exactly where you wanted.

Minimum TL Bug
When viewing the design report in the designer, the tech level of individual systems is reported at the minimum needed to manufacture them. They are now raised to the minimum TL setting.

Some might ask why they are not raised to the required TL, like when the ship is manufactured. If this was done, all systems would report at that TL, which prevents you from knowing which system is causing the required tech level in the first place. When reported at the minimum, you can tell which system is driving the overall TL. Adjust the minimum up to the required TL to see the results as the ship would be manufactured.

Minimum TL Properties OBOB
Design property page had an off by one bug when it initialized the minimum tech level to one less than it was supposed to show. This was fixed.

Barrier Path Bug
Fixed a bug that caused any barrier part in a design to cause all path segments to report an error when finalized.

Finalize Bugs
Fixed various bugs in the design finalize process. One of them was introduced in the last update; it caused most designs to fail, including the little test designs I already posted.
Haxus
Site Admin

Re: Update 2017-03-31 Designer

Postby Deantwo » Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:53 pm

Haxus wrote:Speed of Freight
Speed of freight was increased from 2x light speed to 5x light speed, which is equivalent to warp 1.

Broker TL
Speed of freight is now increased by shipping broker TL, at 5% per TL.

Thought it was intensional that you hadn't done the TL bonus for brokers, but sure, it is a good idea and I had been thinking about it too.
The increase in base speed, I don't see why you did that, but sure I guess.

That means that a TL21 broker will send shipments at 10x light speed, and a TL32 broker will ship at 12.75x light speed. If my math is correct.
AnrDaemon is the solution to the [s]Fermi Paradox[/s] Hazeron suggestion flood problem, the great suggestion filter.
Deantwo

Postby Phenoix12 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:45 pm

Woooo! Updates. Still no preview mode, oh well.

I was going to report a bug that causes a crash but when I went to reopen the designer to test to replicate the crash a third time the game updated a second time and suddenly it's fixed. odd.
Phenoix12

Postby Haxus » Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:46 pm

Was the crash in the texture wrapper? If so, that's what the second update was for.

Oddly, I have been using it a lot for days with no crashes. Today after I posted some updates it started crashing as I tried making a simple examining table for my sick bay. I haven't touched the code involved there in a long time. I hate that.
Haxus
Site Admin

Postby Haxus » Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:50 pm

Deantwo, your math is correct. At TL 32, the speed is equivalent to warp 2.55.

I can't claim credit for the idea. Someone in the game suggested it and it sounded good.
Haxus
Site Admin

Postby Phenoix12 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:55 pm

Haxus wrote:Was the crash in the texture wrapper?

Exactly.

Oh. Quick stupid thing. Would it be possible to get an option for a 'chair' station. you know like the integrated stations except has no screens or controls associated with it, just sets someplace to sit. Because what's the point of designing a toilet into the ship if you can't sit on it.
Phenoix12

Postby Deantwo » Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:26 pm

Phenoix12 wrote:Because what's the point of designing a toilet into the ship if you can't sit on it.

Some call it a throne, and the throne on a spacecraft is the captain's chair. So make the toilet a captain's chair!
AnrDaemon is the solution to the [s]Fermi Paradox[/s] Hazeron suggestion flood problem, the great suggestion filter.
Deantwo

Postby Haxus » Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:05 pm

An unfortunate bug forced me to restart the servers as they were crashing one by one.

The cause of the problem was found and fixed. No data was harmed as a result, though I had my worries for a bit.
Haxus
Site Admin

Postby Haxus » Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:28 pm

I can add a way to place the command chair as a generic chair.

Alternatively, use some mesh and make a chair.

I made some simple beds for my new ship. I'll publish them as an assembly.
Haxus
Site Admin

Postby Deantwo » Sat Apr 01, 2017 2:16 am

Haxus wrote:No data was harmed as a result, though I had my worries for a bit.

"No data was harmed during the making of this update."

So won't share what caused the crash?

EDIT: Well one thing was harmed. Hazeron system was seemingly rolled back a tiny bit, because I am not inside your awesome ship anymore. T_T
PS: Can't seem to plant explosives on your hull door. I am sad now.
Deantwo

Next

Return to Updates