2017-03-17 Bug Fixes

Details about updates to Shores of Hazeron

2017-03-17 Bug Fixes

Postby Haxus » Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:45 am

No changes were made to officers in this update. They have not been nerfed in any way.

Server Deadlock
A recent change introduced a deadlock that occurred sometimes while building a building. That is fixed.

Xian's Ring Can Be Lost
Xian's ring is supposed to be a no drop item, but that wasn't working so it was sometimes lost when an avatar died. Worse, the ring was sometimes tagged as a slippery item, so it was the first thing dropped when an avatar died. That bug is fixed.

Trade Permission Not Domain Based
The permission to change shipments at a broker was changed to be domain-based. The wording was also changed to be more clear, something like "Can manage broker shipments."

Same Named Avatars Bug
Fixed a bug that prevented two avatars with the same name from being assigned to the same boss in the empire hierarchy. Also, the UI now shows the Id of citizens in the list.

Trade and Passenger Job Range
Someone suggested that trade and passenger jobs should not be available from beyond neighboring sectors. The various jobs now have varying sector ranges for their availability. This affects the jobs that are offered by citizens and crew when you talk to them.

Broker UI Improvements
Broker window got some improvements.
  • Broker window now has a splitter bar between the lists of orders being filled and the orders en route.
  • Tool tips have a bit more information.
  • Schedule Shipment button is now disabled if the broker cannot handle any more shipments.
  • Broker window refreshes the list when it becomes visible.
Schedule Shipment UI
Schedule shipment UI now remembers your last settings. Cities are now organized in a tree control similar to the star map.

Shipments to Other Galaxies
I have been telling people I was going to nerf the ability to schedule shipments to other galaxies. I changed my mind. Instead...
  • Shipments cannot go to other galaxies in the opposite conflict/neutral zone from the shipper. Conflict zone cities cannot ship stuff to the neutral zone or vice versa.
  • Shipment distance to other galaxies is based on the distance from the shipper to the center of the galaxy, then from the center of the destination galaxy to the destination city.
  • I sent a shipment to another galaxy. It will get there in about ten days. The shipping cost was 17M per TEU.
Warp to Center of System
Warp driven spacecraft still drive all the way to the sun. That does not make sense since it is no longer a braking maneuver. When executing a travel direct to solar system order, the navigator now decides you have arrived when the ship reaches the periphery of the system. That is also where the officer decides the mission order is complete. The decision range is outside the farthest orbit or wormhole, whichever is farther, with a margin of one more orbit distance.

Top Down View Sprites Slow
The sprites overlayed on the terrain to show buildings and resources caused a huge drop in frame rate. I cached a bunch of the information used to display those. They are quite a bit faster now. It is possible they will not update if a building tech level changes, and nothing else, until you move about 50m.
Haxus
Site Admin

Re: 2017-03-17 Bug Fixes

Postby Edward Teach » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:02 am

Thank you for all the bug squashing. Let us all take a moment of silence to honor the MANY nameless crew that have perished trying to transport resources to other galaxies. As with many other things, those first in the breach bear the highest cost.
We need to make Hazeron great again.
Edward Teach

Postby Deantwo » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:23 am

Haxus wrote:Xian's Ring Can Be Lost

What us that have lost our rings already? Would you be able to pexcel us a replacement ring? Or will you just have the next chapter give us a new one? ^^;

Haxus wrote:Trade and Passenger Job Range
Someone suggested that trade and passenger jobs should not be available from beyond neighboring sectors. The various jobs now have varying sector ranges for their availability. This affects the jobs that are offered by citizens and crew when you talk to them.

This should help with finding more interesting jobs. Amount of passenger jobs from Hazeron was worrying, considering​ how far away Tail is.

Haxus wrote:Broker UI Improvements
Broker window got some improvements.
  • Broker window now has a splitter bar between the lists of orders being filled and the orders en route.
  • Tool tips have a bit more information.
  • Schedule Shipment button is now disabled if the broker cannot handle any more shipments.
  • Broker window refreshes the list when it becomes visible.
Schedule Shipment UI
Schedule shipment UI now remembers your last settings. Cities are now organized in a tree control similar to the star map.

Awesome!

Few more suggestions:
  • Add a simple label above each of the two list boxes. Just so we know what each box is.
  • Add a capacity counter, to the window. So if 5 out of 16 shipments are scheduled, write "5/16".
  • Add a countdown to next shipment sending. Could get datetime of next on refresh and just have it loop client-side.
Also questtion: The shipment limit is the same for waiting shipments and enroute shipments? Not a separate limit for each of the two?

See also: hazeron.com/wiki/Shipment

Haxus wrote:Shipments to Other Galaxies
I have been telling people I was going to nerf the ability to schedule shipments to other galaxies. I changed my mind. Instead...
  • Shipments cannot go to other galaxies in the opposite conflict/neutral zone from the shipper. Conflict zone cities cannot ship stuff to the neutral zone or vice versa.
  • Shipment distance to other galaxies is based on the distance from the shipper to the center of the galaxy, then from the center of the destination galaxy to the destination city.
  • I sent a shipment to another galaxy. It will get there in about ten days. The shipping cost was 17M per TEU.

So it is just extra expensive? That works I guess.

Haxus wrote:Top Down View Sprites Slow
The sprites overlayed on the terrain to show buildings and resources caused a huge drop in frame rate. I cached a bunch of the information used to display those. They are quite a bit faster now. It is possible they will not update if a building tech level changes, and nothing else, until you move about 50m.

So if I sell a tech disk to a building, I won't see it take effect? That could be annoying.
I invalidate your reality and wait for it to be refreshed.
Deantwo

Postby Haxus » Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:10 am

The limits for shipments being processed and en route shipments are separate. Each is limited to the number of broker levels.

I haven't tested the TL change; was just warning that it might be broken. It wasn't an intended feature.

Shipping to other galaxies is only extra expensive due to the distance. That expense only applies if an avatar actually hauls the cargo, which you can't right now.

Estimated delivery fee is calculated as follows.

Delivery Fee = CostPerTEUPc x TEUs x DistancePc
Where...

CostPerTEUPc = Cost to ship one TEU one parsec, currently 1000c.

TEUs = Whole number of TEUs in the shipment.

DistancePc = Distance from origin system to destination system in parsecs.
The 1000c cost per TEU pc was an arbitrary number. Anyone want to throw out an opinion about this?
Haxus
Site Admin

Postby Haxus » Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:24 am

Delivery time was also arbitrary, based on a nominal barge speed of 2x light speed.

I felt the time should allow a low tech freighter to make the run without too much stress. They would be using familiar routes, not exploring their way to the destination. That would mean alternating between wormholes and dead heading. The crews would be leisurely about it, not killing themselves to break speed records. They would stop for shore leave as appropriate, on long hauls.

Under those conditions, does the speed seem ok? Could that half hearted crew of freight haulers generally make better time than that? I would be curious to hear your thoughts.

The estimated time vs actual delivery time is the basis for bonus payment.

ActualDeliveryFee = (EstDeliveryTime / ActualDeliveryTime) * EstDeliveryFee
Consequently, if the barge speed is too low, it will be very easy for players to earn gigantic bonuses, especially on long hauls if they use a warp drive. On the flip side, too high of barge speed and it could be difficult or impossible to earn bonus money on shorter hauls.
Haxus
Site Admin

Postby Celarious » Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:41 am

Just one issue I've noticed, I'm no longer able to access the offline designer, due to it requiring online cached data.

Is that intentional? Just curious
Celarious

Postby xlc2020 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:43 am

Maybe there should be a speed bonus if the system is connected to your wormhole network and is nearby (within the 20 pc or so "sphere" that you can choose a destination system from via travel command). This actually doesn't apply to many of my systems, which I scouted out using only warp.
Last edited by xlc2020 on Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:22 pm, edited 3 times in total.
xlc2020

Postby Deantwo » Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:05 pm

Haxus wrote:Same Named Avatars Bug
Fixed a bug that prevented two avatars with the same name from being assigned to the same boss in the empire hierarchy. Also, the UI now shows the Id of citizens in the list.

Doesn't seem to work still.
I can't make Messen and Messen both have Sarelia as their boss.

Haxus wrote:Delivery time was also arbitrary, based on a nominal barge speed of 2x light speed.

I felt the time should allow a low tech freighter to make the run without too much stress. They would be using familiar routes, not exploring their way to the destination. That would mean alternating between wormholes and dead heading. The crews would be leisurely about it, not killing themselves to break speed records. They would stop for shore leave as appropriate, on long hauls.

Under those conditions, does the speed seem ok? Could that half hearted crew of freight haulers generally make better time than that? I would be curious to hear your thoughts.

I actually like this, seemed fine and reasonable to me.
It is faster than deadheading but way slower than wormholes and warp, so there is a real reason to actively do the shipping your self.

Haxus wrote:The limits for shipments being processed and en route shipments are separate. Each is limited to the number of broker levels.

Ah, then a capacity counter for each of the two boxes would definitely be nice.

Haxus wrote:Shipping to other galaxies is only extra expensive due to the distance. That expense only applies if an avatar actually hauls the cargo, which you can't right now.

Well, should maybe be a hazard pay bonus for every intergalactic jump.

Haxus wrote:Estimated delivery fee is calculated as follows.

Can't say much about this, since there isn't really an economy right now. There aren't many money sinks and it is quite easy to make large amounts of money.

But I was wondering if there shouldn't be a safety deposit, you know to protect the poor brokers from being cheated.
Deantwo

Postby Zoyd » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:06 pm

Celarious wrote:Just one issue I've noticed, I'm no longer able to access the offline designer, due to it requiring online cached data.

I just patched and entered the offline designer with no problem.
Just to let you know.
Zoyd

Postby Deantwo » Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:09 am

Celarious wrote:Just one issue I've noticed, I'm no longer able to access the offline designer, due to it requiring online cached data.

Last time that happened, Haxus said it was a bug.
So just let Haxus know and he will fix it.
Deantwo

Next

Return to Updates