Update 2017-03-14 Trade Between Systems

Details about updates to Shores of Hazeron

Re: Update 2017-03-14 Trade Between Systems

Postby Celarious » Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:41 pm

Haxus wrote:I am leaning toward nerfing them only when their ship has no human officer on the roster. Then a player could have a small fleet of six ships, if they made all the avatars on their account into captains.

And why not be able to berth port to ships sitting idle with only an officer?

That would be nice, would reduce the amount of server load and would still allow officers to perform a lot of useful functions!
Celarious

Postby jakbruce2012 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:53 am

So far I've mothballed 3 freighters, retained one for general purpose player use.

Also tested fleet hails a bit more, and confirmed that a ship with an officer off the con will never respond to hails; so that will need fixed before the nerf.
jakbruce2012

Postby Jorn Stones » Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:20 pm

Haxus wrote:I am leaning toward nerfing them only when their ship has no human officer on the roster. Then a player could have a small fleet of six ships, if they made all the avatars on their account into captains.

And why not be able to berth port to ships sitting idle with only an officer?

I'd already prefer that a lot more. I would not be able to maintain loyalty in my empire, or have any kind of active defence in important systems with just a single ship that only works when I'm online.

I probably better start mothballing some ships soonish though. Once their officers stop working it'll only be a matter of a week for most ships to start falling from orbit.
Jorn Stones

Postby OmegaPaladin » Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:36 pm

I like the trade between systems feature. Very useful, and reduces losses from star collisions. Hopefully it will not require the new-style ship designs, because I know absolutely nothing about Blender and I'm absolutely dreading trying to make a ship in the new designer.

I would suggest that wormhole connections play a role in shipping materials if that is possible.

One really big issue - FUEL. If officers do not auto-process orders, ships will fall out of the sky when they run out of fuel unless you babysit them. Either remove the fuel expenditure or allow auto-fueling

So no more officer empires, then.
Will officers still provide reports?

So, what I use officers for:
  1. Inter-system trade, naturally
  2. Running errands while I build a colony. I think this should be okay, as long as it is only being on the roster versus being onboard.
  3. Handling long distance travel. See the previous item, it should be okay if officer will act like they currently do while you are on the roster, even if you are offline.
  4. Harvesting. This should be ironed out so that it does not cause problems. It should be straightforward to place a harvester in orbit and have it function properly. This should include having fuel and any other standard maintenance tasks.
  5. Berth-a-porting. Not having this would ruin low-player-count empires or widespread empires. Have people ever considered building-based teleportation? Say a lower-tier building representing a train station for intra-planetary teleportation, and a stargate-style gateway for crossing between worlds. Just a thought.
  6. Loyalty Patrols / Showing the Flag. Currently we or our officers need to make regular visits to systems to maintain loyalty. This is usually accomplished with a patrol loop.These mechanics would need to be seriously reworked, otherwise they are just going to be pointless tedium of flying regularly to each system just to verify loyalty. I know some might disagree, but this is a game, and is supposed to be fun.

Just a side note, Haxus - the best way to get people to be Kirk is to give them Kirk-type things to do. The missions are a good start, but most tasks lack the kind of dynamism and sense of importance from a star trek like game. For example, in the classic game Starflight, you harvest minerals by driving around in an ATV looking for them and collecting them, kind of like how you do it in Star Control 2 / The Ur-Quan Masters. In Hazeron, you click a button and harvest. Collecting a load takes hours, not a few minutes. There are lots of NPCs to trade/talk with, as well as blow up. There are places to explore that are fun to explore.

Hazeron is very much written from the perspective of a 4X game based on resource management. It's an interesting take on the genre, and the person-level perspective is impressive, but all of those games move in favor of more autonomy and more delegation. We set the production of every building, tracking each can of beans that is eaten. Kirk would take one look at that and go make out with the green alien space babe. :p I like much of the resource management personally, but as it is we are more Khan building up his secret empire than Kirk.
OmegaPaladin

Postby Deantwo » Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:53 pm

OmegaPaladin wrote:I like the trade between systems feature. Very useful, and reduces losses from star collisions. Hopefully it will not require the new-style ship designs, because I know absolutely nothing about Blender and I'm absolutely dreading trying to make a ship in the new designer.

Spacecraft are not related to the new automatic broker trading system at all.

It will be possible for players with ships to pick up the shipments that are waiting and deliver them as a way of making profit and faster delivery. But this is not implemented yet, and it will likely not be limited new spacecraft.
I invalidate your reality and wait for it to be refreshed.
Deantwo

Previous

Return to Updates