Update 2017-03-14 Trade Between Systems

Details about updates to Shores of Hazeron

Re: Update 2017-03-14 Trade Between Systems

Postby Phenoix12 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:28 pm

On the topic of the officer nerf and the reason behind it. Wouldn't one way to reduce server load be if there is no human player online and present near an officer controlled ship then just have the ship 'disapear' and become just some abstracted data until such a time where either a player on board logs back on, or someone (or the ship itself) enters into the same system/area as the ship?

I mean I agree that server load is an issue but I'm also with a lot of other people in thinking that nerfing officers that much would probably have a negative effect. Smaller empires with few players would be adversly affected.

One solution I can think of to keep the nerf as is sort-of would be to make a way to more easily control groups of ships while captaining one. Like grouping them into fleets groups or something...
Phenoix12

Postby Haxus » Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:05 pm

I am leaning toward nerfing them only when their ship has no human officer on the roster. Then a player could have a small fleet of six ships, if they made all the avatars on their account into captains.

And why not be able to berth port to ships sitting idle with only an officer?
Haxus
Site Admin

Postby Onepercent » Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:50 pm

Phenoix12 wrote:On the topic of the officer nerf and the reason behind it. Wouldn't one way to reduce server load be if there is no human player online and present near an officer controlled ship then just have the ship 'disapear' and become just some abstracted data until such a time where either a player on board logs back on, or someone (or the ship itself) enters into the same system/area as the ship?

I mean I agree that server load is an issue but I'm also with a lot of other people in thinking that nerfing officers that much would probably have a negative effect. Smaller empires with few players would be adversly affected.

One solution I can think of to keep the nerf as is sort-of would be to make a way to more easily control groups of ships while captaining one. Like grouping them into fleets groups or something...

This, Why can't you just not simulate the space where an officer is but no human player is haxus?

Kinda like how X series they don't simulate AI ships "Out of sector" but you can still view their moving location in real time.

It's not like there's any abstract interference for Officered ships anyway, the old pirate stations+ships aren't in and they only show when there are players rostered to a ship.
Onepercent

Postby jakbruce2012 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:07 am

Onepercent of Borg wrote:
Phenoix12 wrote:On the topic of the officer nerf and the reason behind it. Wouldn't one way to reduce server load be if there is no human player online and present near an officer controlled ship then just have the ship 'disapear' and become just some abstracted data until such a time where either a player on board logs back on, or someone (or the ship itself) enters into the same system/area as the ship?

This, Why can't you just not simulate the space where an officer is but no human player is haxus?

Kinda like how X series they don't simulate AI ships "Out of sector" but you can still view their moving location in real time.

It's not like there's any abstract interference for Officered ships anyway, the old pirate stations+ships aren't in and they only show when there are players rostered to a ship.

I've been wondering this as well.
jakbruce2012

Postby jakbruce2012 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:09 am

Haxus wrote:I am leaning toward nerfing them only when their ship has no human officer on the roster. Then a player could have a small fleet of six ships, if they made all the avatars on their account into captains.

And why not be able to berth port to ships sitting idle with only an officer?

That would make sense, as long as inactive officers still respond to hails, I'll be happy. This also solves the issue of trade and power sales loops at new colonies, the player captain could be outside building, and the officer would continue providing materials.
jakbruce2012

Postby Deantwo » Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:19 am

Onepercent of Borg wrote:Kinda like how X series they don't simulate AI ships "Out of sector" but you can still view their moving location in real time.

According to a friend that played X2 a lot, the "out of sector" combat simulation was one of the worst things about the game. Since the combat was simulated in such a simple way it didn't make any sense. He said that the best way to make trader ships survive was to equip them with torpedos because only weapon states and health states were used in the simulated combat, having a fast trader ship was useless at defending itself. But the worst part was that it was so deeply hard-coded that it was impossible to change it with mods.

Anyway, I don't know much about it myself.
I invalidate your reality and wait for it to be refreshed.
Deantwo

Postby Onepercent » Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:20 am

And officered combat ships were EVER great in the current system?

Well, I guess that provides incentive to not use officers as cannon fodder in the event where you KNOW they will fail? my analogue was more of still allowing us to keep all the positive attributes of Officers whilst significantly lowing server load. For example, X series was capable of simulating some several thousand moving AI ships in the entire 200 or so sectors they had with their "Out of sector" calculations which doesn't simulate them in 3D space and collisions are turned off, which was how I understood it.
Onepercent

Postby MBoss » Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:27 am

Haxus wrote:I am leaning toward nerfing them only when their ship has no human officer on the roster. Then a player could have a small fleet of six ships, if they made all the avatars on their account into captains.

I strongly support this one. Seems to be the best solution.
MBoss

Postby MBoss » Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:33 am

Onepercent of Borg wrote:And officered combat ships were EVER great in the current system?

I have been used some officered Ships before. It is been a long time but they were auxilaries. All important Battles in Hazeron was fought by players, not by AI.

But: What if a officered ship, without player on the roster, gets attacked. Will it defend itself?
MBoss

Postby Onepercent » Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:46 am

MBoss wrote:But: What if a officered ship, without player on the roster, gets attacked. Will it defend itself?

Depends if it's attacked by whom, if a player, then the scene is your typical hazeron simulation, if by another officer ship, can just be simple roll of the dice. Yeah it may not be as acurate as your typical hazeron scene, but if you think about it, two ships meeting and then just sitting there trading blows isn't much different to the outcome of a simple dice roll.. xD
Last edited by Onepercent on Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Onepercent

PreviousNext

Return to Updates