Update 2017-03-09 FTL Drive and Warp Drives

Details about updates to Shores of Hazeron

Re: Update 2017-03-09 FTL Drive and Warp Drives

Postby Deantwo » Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:52 am

Haxus wrote:Designer Show Ground
The option to show a patch of ground in the new designer now works. The size is the ground spawn size limit. The altitude is placed beneath your design at the lowest extent of the hull and landing gear. That is where it will sit on the ground in the game.

Haxus, can we set a separate height for floating? For ships that are to be "Sea Surface" streamlined.

On another note:
The "Structure" setting doesn't make much sense, since this can be automatically found out by the designer by checking if the ship has FTL or not.

I suggest the "station" option be moved to the "Streamlined" setting, so that we can make any design into a station, rather than that "minimum maneuver drive" mess that confuses new players. It doesn't make any sense to streamline a station anyway, since it can't be inside an atmosphere. Then we would also be allowed to make a station with a large redundant maneuver drive.
Could rename the "Streamlined" setting to "Structure" if so desired, just makes more sense I guess.

One more thing:
I would love it if the Captain's Berth was mandatory on all ship designs that have any other berth. Remove the while "one berth reserved for captain" thing.
Last edited by Deantwo on Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
I invalidate your reality and wait for it to be refreshed.
Deantwo

Postby Celarious » Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:03 am

Deantwo wrote:
Haxus wrote:Designer Show Ground
The option to show a patch of ground in the new designer now works. The size is the ground spawn size limit. The altitude is placed beneath your design at the lowest extent of the hull and landing gear. That is where it will sit on the ground in the game.

Haxus, can we set a separate height for floating? For ships that are to be "Sea Surface" streamlined.

On another note:
The "Structure" setting doesn't make much sense, since this can be automatically found out by the designer by checking if the ship has FTL or not.

I suggest the "station" option be moved to the "Streamlined" setting, so that we can make any design into a station, rather than that "minimum maneuver drive" mess that confuses new players. It doesn't make any sense to streamline a station anyway, since it can't be inside an atmosphere. Then we would also be allowed to make a station with a large redundant maneuver drive.
Could rename the "Streamlined" setting to "Structure" if so desired, just makes more sense I guess.

That could work. Being able to make any ship into a station, so yeah I kinda agree
Celarious

Postby Haxus » Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:45 pm

There is no acceleration requirement for new station designs. You call it a station and it can have lots of acceleration, but it won't go anywhere.

The new designer does not try to guess what you are building based on what you have designed. Instead, you say what you are building and the designer tells you if it's right or wrong.
Haxus
Site Admin

Postby Deantwo » Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:30 pm

Haxus wrote:There is no acceleration requirement for new station designs. You call it a station and it can have lots of acceleration, but it won't go anywhere.

Ah, that is good to know.

Haxus wrote:The new designer does not try to guess what you are building based on what you have designed. Instead, you say what you are building and the designer tells you if it's right or wrong.

But there is only one difference between the two classes of spacecraft, Spaceship and Starship, does the ship have FTL.

And like I said, streamlining a station doesn't make any sense.
So one option rather than two would be easier.
Deantwo

Postby Celarious » Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:31 pm

Deantwo wrote:
Haxus wrote:There is no acceleration requirement for new station designs. You call it a station and it can have lots of acceleration, but it won't go anywhere.

Ah, that is good to know.

Haxus wrote:The new designer does not try to guess what you are building based on what you have designed. Instead, you say what you are building and the designer tells you if it's right or wrong.

But there is only one difference between the two classes of spacecraft, Spaceship and Starship, does the ship have FTL.

And like I said, streamlining a station doesn't make any sense.
So one option rather than two would be easier.

I would like underwater stations tbh

But seriously, either way, it's not that big of a deal since it's just a station
Celarious

Postby Haxus » Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:45 pm

Deantwo is correct. Transitions are avoided by keeping your ship in the domain of the current solar system until you cross a sector boundary or drop out of warp. You can observe this on the Compass window; it shows your current solar system.

The end result is very desirable, even though some features were lost. Those lost features are easy enough to live without, imo. Sensor contact while warping? World detection while warping? It is easy to cop out and say the "physics" of warp space don't permit those things. After all, wouldn't an active sensor beam have to go faster than the thing it is detecting? Does the beam go in and out of warp? The reason you can't see things inside the photon sphere of a black hole is the light goes in but it can't get out. Isn't it a similar situation? Ofc, sensors could be based on something entirely different from a projected/reflected beam like a radar. It's all sci fi. Where do you draw the line? lol. Nowhere.
Haxus
Site Admin

Postby Deantwo » Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:28 am

Haxus wrote:Deantwo is correct. Transitions are avoided by keeping your ship in the domain of the current solar system until you cross a sector boundary or drop out of warp. You can observe this on the Compass window; it shows your current solar system.

It also shows on the little status display that is attached to each console. I was wondering if you could change that to show sector relative coordinates while at warp, would be more useful. I don't know if it would be as simple for the locator though.

Haxus wrote:The end result is very desirable, even though some features were lost. Those lost features are easy enough to live without, imo. Sensor contact while warping? World detection while warping? It is easy to cop out and say the "physics" of warp space don't permit those things. After all, wouldn't an active sensor beam have to go faster than the thing it is detecting? Does the beam go in and out of warp? The reason you can't see things inside the photon sphere of a black hole is the light goes in but it can't get out. Isn't it a similar situation? Ofc, sensors could be based on something entirely different from a projected/reflected beam like a radar. It's all sci fi. Where do you draw the line? lol. Nowhere.

All very true, we need another way to detect and track FTL traveling ships. I have however no idea how that would be possible in a way that is easy to read.

But yeah, maybe make sensors disable or stop functioning while at warp then? Also make warping ships undetectable by sensors.
Deantwo

Postby AnrDaemon » Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:31 am

Haxus wrote:The end result is very desirable, even though some features were lost.

Main lost feature is consequences of your actions.
Yak. Yak never changes.
AnrDaemon

Previous

Return to Updates