Update 2017-03-03 Designer

Details about updates to Shores of Hazeron

Update 2017-03-03 Designer

Postby Haxus » Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:45 pm

Deadly Ships
New ship designs were spawning with no air inside. They could be quite deadly until you got power running. They now spawn with normal air pressure.

On Line Designer Blank
The on line designer is black, no grid or bounding box. File|New and File|Open don't do anything. Attempting to draw something crashes.

This is fixed. Designer now starts up in spacecraft mode. More importantly, the owner of the design studio instance is properly established so you can use the File|New and File|Open commands, which are restricted to use only by the owner of the design studio instance.

Designer No Warn on Exit
Designer was not warning of lost changes when exited. That is fixed.

Crew Stuck on Ladders
Fixed a bug that caused NPCs and avatars to get stuck on the ladders in the old style ships if you let go of the ladder above the floor.

Teleport Ship Breaks It
Agent teleport of new ship designs no longer breaks them.

Hangars Not Broken
Someone reported that the new ship designs could not be stored in a hangar. I had no trouble doing this. A concrete failure case is needed.

Flight Attitude
Two new flight attitude policies were added to spacecraft policies. They are Port Side to Gravity Well and Starboard Side to Gravity Well. The resulting scene when flying around planets and solar systems is much more interesting.

The port side to gravity well policy is the default for all new ships now.

Bad Attitude Indicator
The change to flight attitude forced me to finally fix the broken attitude indicator. If you have ever piloted a spacecraft, you may have noticed the attitude indicator got hypersensitive in certain orientations, like when orbiting a planet sideways. The error was too much for the NPCs so it had to be fixed to enable them to fly that way.

Station Rotation
While working on NPC flight attitude, I noticed that they align the ship to the station when parking next to a station. I forgot they did that. The station in question had been rotated randomly by me. The resulting scene was much more interesting than the typical planet-below-the-feet scene. It gave the station more of a sense of being like a little world of its own, having it's own reference space. Consequently, I changed the station spawn code to randomly rotate stations when spawning them in space.

Warp Drive Power Usage
Warp drive had a bug that caused it to always consume the amount of power needed for only warp factor 1, regardless of the warp factor selected. That was fixed.

Barriers
Some insightful person suggested that I add a barrier object to the design, similar to a void. The barrier acts as an obstruction to sight and movement that takes precedence over voids. This enables rooms with interior obstructions to be set up more easily and it creates much simpler void and barrier objects, the alternative being to make highly elaborate voids to go around obstructions. Barriers also enable obstructions that are not connected to the walls, such as a hovering statue or light fixture.

Associate/Dissociate
The menu command to associate parts was moved to the Design menu, which is the place for commands that operate on selected parts in part mode.

Associate now associates more parts. Voids, barriers and paths can be associated with states of doors and landing gear. FTL drive and weapon service panels can/must be associated with the control station that defines the system.

Dissociate command added to break associations. There was some dubious way of doing it before; that is gone.

Sensors and Shields
Fixed a bug that prevented sensors and shields from showing up on the design UI for adjusting hull usage. This meant you could not put them into new ship designs.

Design Analysis Power per Second
Units of power are now expressed in terajoules. Units of power per second are now expressed in terawatts. The design analysis shows more power usage values for things.

Don't get too technical on me. I just picked tera because giga wasn't big enough. Someone is sure to point out that you can't get that much power out of the equivalent amount of hydrogen that is burned. I'll hide behind the mantra that this IS science fiction, and it's a game, where liberties with scale are typical.

Spacecraft Factory Commission Fleet Ships
Governing officials can now commission a fleet ship at a spacecraft factory in the same way a company ship is purchased.
  • You must have governing authority to commission a fleet ship.
  • There is no cost to commission a fleet ship.
  • Tech level is not limited by the max company TL setting.
  • You do not get mail when the ship spawns.
  • The ship spawns according to normal rules of spawning a fleet ship at the factory.
Use Once Designs
Commission or company purchase is the only way to build a design that was published with use once terms. Use once designs cannot be used to configure the default manufacturing process.

When the ship is commissioned or purchased, the use once design media is taken from your gear. The acknowledgement message says this, when it happens.
Haxus
Site Admin

Re: Update 2017-03-03 Designer

Postby Phenoix12 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:12 pm

All of my YES to this update.

Obstuctions and the ability to associate them with object states? Yes yes yes.
Phenoix12

Postby jakbruce2012 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:13 pm

Good stuff, will test out the new studio soon. Out on a scouting mission atm.
jakbruce2012

Postby Celarious » Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:29 pm

Woo! The altitude indicator fix is awesome! Thanks a lot once again!

Also I've noticed that I can't collide with a door even when it's associated with a room void. Is this intentional?
Celarious

Postby Haxus » Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:39 pm

Did you push the button to update the collision data? It should not be needed every time you change door states, just when the geometry of the drawing changes.
Haxus
Site Admin

Postby Ben Buske » Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:41 pm

This looks like some awesome news! Thanks again for all your work.
Ben Buske

Postby Celarious » Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:42 pm

Haxus wrote:Did you push the button to update the collision data? It should not be needed every time you change door states, just when the geometry of the drawing changes.

Yeah, multiple times. When I enable collisions and gravity, I seem to not collide with the door and enter the "Non-gravity" state when inside it, meaning that the room void DOES disappear when the door is closed, but the collision doesn't apply
Celarious

Postby Haxus » Fri Mar 03, 2017 4:07 pm

If you could send the .SoH file to me, I will check it out.
Haxus
Site Admin

Postby jakbruce2012 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 4:19 pm

I too have noticed this on the crimson wing design I sent last night, all but the bridge door fail to collide.
jakbruce2012

Postby Celarious » Fri Mar 03, 2017 4:23 pm

Haxus wrote:If you could send the .SoH file to me, I will check it out.

Sent. Have mentioned in the mail what parts I've been testing it on
Celarious

Next

Return to Updates