Update 2017-02-28 Spacecraft Factory

Details about updates to Shores of Hazeron

Update 2017-02-28 Spacecraft Factory

Postby Haxus » Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:07 pm

New Designs Operational
This update opens the flood gates for the new ship designs. Just because you can build them doesn't mean everything works; it doesn't. Quite the contrary. They barely work. Turrets certainly don't work. Weapon bays could work but I have not tested them at all. The only control consoles usable by humans are the old swiveling school desk style. I don't think damage report works....and...and...and...

Systems will continue to come on line over the next few updates.

Today is only a month behind the date I had predicted for this milestone back in October. I suppose that's not too bad for an off-the-cuff estimate. If only I was getting paid by the hour. ;)

Spacecraft Factory
Spacecraft factory got big changes to the way it operates.
  • The factory can have a default process to run, such as a ship to build or RnD process to run.
  • Players can buy a ship at the factory. Their purchase goes into a queue. It does not interrupt the current running process.
  • Company ships no longer spawn instantly into the universe. Instead, they are built just like other spacecraft.
  • The company build queue gets priority over the default process so those ships get built and then the factory resumes it's default production.
  • Buyers get mail telling them when their ship is finished and where it can be found.
  • Buying company ships is still governed by the empire's commerce restrictions on company spacecraft purchases.
  • Company stations do not replace existing stations, like fleet stations do.
  • Company ships that spawn in orbit are not restricted by the limit of four applied to new fleet ships.
  • Company ships that spawn on the ground may replace an inferior new fleet ship if no empty spawn location is available.
  • Company ships are flagged under the empire of the buyer. The buyer is set to the owner of the title.
This change gets a picture.

• Combo box that says '1 Quadrant Scout' selects the default manufacturing process, either a ship or RnD. It can be set to None. Changing it does not interrupt the currently running process.
  • Process text, starting with 'Quadrant Scout' shows information about the currently running process.
  • Stop button terminates the currently running process. It is the only way to stop the current process, other than deleting the building.
    • Materials are returned to city stockpile.
    • Money is returned to the bank, in the case of RnD.
    • Money is returned to the buyer, when building a company ship.
    • Deleting the building does not do these things. Company ship purchases are lost without compensation.
  • Company Spacecraft section added.
    • Build check box enables the factory to build company spacecraft for players.
    • Max TL combo box sets the maximum design TL of company spacecraft that may be built. This does not limit the TL of fetched materials so the resulting ship could be higher TL. It just limits the TL of the design.
    • Buy button displays a window to pick what design to buy as a company ship.
    • List below the Buy button shows company spacecraft waiting to be built.
Xian Mentions Beacon
Xian now mentions that the research site always puts out a beacon for their supply ship and that you will hear it. This should help players to understand what to look for, that they do not need to visit every planet in their quest.

Big Item Tooltips
Some items have really big tool tips. The design media for the new designs has the entire ship design report. That's too much so there is now an abbreviated version of that text for tool tips. You have to inspect the item to see the big text.

Design Exchange
Design exchange now queries for the list when it first becomes visible, so it doesn't look empty right away. You can now buy designs from the exchange. I have a very simple TL1 design that works. I will post it as a free design in the exchange.

Burn CD on Ship
You will find that new spacecraft designs do not permit burning a CD of the design by anyone aboard them. This could circumvent the conditions under which the design was published.
Haxus
Site Admin

Re: Update 2017-02-28 Spacecraft Factory

Postby Ikkir Isth » Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:14 pm

Begun, this Ship War, has. *claps*

Edit: noting that just the fact that private ships now build just like every other ship is a thing of beauty in itself, not to mention the ship queue
Making things with OpenGL: Image
Working on- an exploration game.
@Ikkir_Isth
Ikkir Isth

Postby Celarious » Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:16 pm

Oh wow the ship queue, that's amazing!

Also the exchange will be amazing to use
Celarious

Postby Haxus » Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:34 pm

Ikkir Isth wrote:the fact that private ships now build just like every other ship is a thing of beauty

Now, the material requirements of company ships can exceed the storage capacity of the city. Previously, all materials had to be present at the instant the ship was bought, which lost the incremental ability to accumulate materials that other processes enjoy.

This also eliminates the strange waiting period imposed on freshly spawned company ships, an attempt to simulate the time taken to manufacture the thing, ugh.

This prevents someone from maliciously draining a city's resources by buying a bunch of company ships.
Haxus
Site Admin

Postby Deantwo » Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:36 pm

It looks a little confusing at a glace, and it doesn't have the wished for feature to swap modules at manufacturing time, but looks cool.

I would suggest a label between the "buy" button and the list though, just to show that they aren't related in that way. Just have the label say "Queued Company Spacecraft Processes" or something like that.
I invalidate your reality and wait for it to be refreshed.
Deantwo

Postby Phenoix12 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:11 pm

Can't wait to see what things are finally working the the designer it self. You Haxus didn't mention any changes or addition to the designer itself but I hope there are at least some things fixed or made to working order.

Now we play the waiting game for the update to go live.
Phenoix12

Postby Haxus » Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:40 pm

No work has been done on the designer itself. The designer is functional. I wanted to get the entire process going, from design to manufacture, before going back and making things nicer. Though I still have a high priority to-do item to add the obstruction areas. They are needed soon, just not needed to manufacture a ship today.

Now it is time to flesh out all the loose ends. There's a lot of things that don't work on these new ships yet.
Haxus
Site Admin

Postby Haxus » Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:36 pm

Unfortunately the update broke spacecraft factories that were researching tech. You will probably have to touch them to fix them. It didn't seem worth restarting the servers to fix it since it was a one time only transition.
Haxus
Site Admin

Postby Haxus » Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:11 pm

Ok my simple Turbo X2a design is giving people fits getting inside it.

There is an invisible ladder at the back door. E onto it and climb up to the door. Click around the middle of the door to open it. E off the ladder and move inside.

Lesson learned there. I will add a visible ladder.
Haxus
Site Admin

Postby jakbruce2012 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:35 pm

Haxus wrote:Ok my simple Turbo X2a design is giving people fits getting inside it.

There is an invisible ladder at the back door. E onto it and climb up to the door. Click around the middle of the door to open it. E off the ladder and move inside.

Lesson learned there. I will add a visible ladder.

hehe, I should put invisible ladders on all my ships.
jakbruce2012

Next

Return to Updates