This update opens the flood gates for the new ship designs. Just because you can build them doesn't mean everything works; it doesn't. Quite the contrary. They barely work. Turrets certainly don't work. Weapon bays could work but I have not tested them at all. The only control consoles usable by humans are the old swiveling school desk style. I don't think damage report works....and...and...and...
Systems will continue to come on line over the next few updates.
Today is only a month behind the date I had predicted for this milestone back in October. I suppose that's not too bad for an off-the-cuff estimate. If only I was getting paid by the hour.
Spacecraft factory got big changes to the way it operates.
- The factory can have a default process to run, such as a ship to build or RnD process to run.
- Players can buy a ship at the factory. Their purchase goes into a queue. It does not interrupt the current running process.
- Company ships no longer spawn instantly into the universe. Instead, they are built just like other spacecraft.
- The company build queue gets priority over the default process so those ships get built and then the factory resumes it's default production.
- Buyers get mail telling them when their ship is finished and where it can be found.
- Buying company ships is still governed by the empire's commerce restrictions on company spacecraft purchases.
- Company stations do not replace existing stations, like fleet stations do.
- Company ships that spawn in orbit are not restricted by the limit of four applied to new fleet ships.
- Company ships that spawn on the ground may replace an inferior new fleet ship if no empty spawn location is available.
- Company ships are flagged under the empire of the buyer. The buyer is set to the owner of the title.
- Combo box that says '1 Quadrant Scout' selects the default manufacturing process, either a ship or RnD. It can be set to None. Changing it does not interrupt the currently running process.
- Process text, starting with 'Quadrant Scout' shows information about the currently running process.
- Stop button terminates the currently running process. It is the only way to stop the current process, other than deleting the building.
- Materials are returned to city stockpile.
- Money is returned to the bank, in the case of RnD.
- Money is returned to the buyer, when building a company ship.
- Deleting the building does not do these things. Company ship purchases are lost without compensation.
- Company Spacecraft section added.
- Build check box enables the factory to build company spacecraft for players.
- Max TL combo box sets the maximum design TL of company spacecraft that may be built. This does not limit the TL of fetched materials so the resulting ship could be higher TL. It just limits the TL of the design.
- Buy button displays a window to pick what design to buy as a company ship.
- List below the Buy button shows company spacecraft waiting to be built.
Xian now mentions that the research site always puts out a beacon for their supply ship and that you will hear it. This should help players to understand what to look for, that they do not need to visit every planet in their quest.
Big Item Tooltips
Some items have really big tool tips. The design media for the new designs has the entire ship design report. That's too much so there is now an abbreviated version of that text for tool tips. You have to inspect the item to see the big text.
Design exchange now queries for the list when it first becomes visible, so it doesn't look empty right away. You can now buy designs from the exchange. I have a very simple TL1 design that works. I will post it as a free design in the exchange.
Burn CD on Ship
You will find that new spacecraft designs do not permit burning a CD of the design by anyone aboard them. This could circumvent the conditions under which the design was published.