People hanging onto ladders on the exterior of a ship's hull are no longer released when the FTL drive becomes hot.
Designer Grid Movement
Grid movement commands no longer terminate the current running command in the designer. Instead, the grid movement command runs to completion and the previous running command resumes where it left off.
Doors now operate on new ship designs and they act as an obstruction when closed, if properly constructed.
- Doors have two hot-spots that can be clicked to open them. The default location is at the center of the door geometry. Designer currently lacks a user interface to see these and to position them for large doors where the center is not practical.
- AI will open doors but they do not close them.
- The helm can still close all open hull doors and the pilot still does so when the air gets close to unbreathable.
- There are only hull doors and interior doors. There is no longer a distinction between crew and non-crew doors.
- Each individual door can be locked in new designs so the buttons to lock/unlock doors will be removed from the helm.
- Crew and troops have keys to lock or unlock all doors on their ship. Passengers cannot lock or unlock doors.
- No automation has been applied to doors in the new designs, either to open them or to close them. What do you think of this?
- No user interface has been created to lock or unlock doors. Shift-click on the door?
AI can now find their way around in the new ship designs, at least in my little test ship. This will need more testing and work with increasingly complex ships, particularly when turbo lifts start working.
The new designer was causing occasional database transaction failures when used on line. This has been fixed. It may have caused some strange rollback-ish problems in the past week or so.
Command chair and control consoles are now visible as a 3D model in the designer. The icon for placing them now has an appropriate sized cursor box and the icon rectangle is the proper size. The size of these icons in existing designs will not change unless they are removed and replaced. The size of the icon is irrelevant so you do not have to do anything to fix them.
Contrail emitters are now functioning but you can't see this in the designer yet. Don't worry, there will be a preview mode in the designer to see the design as a real space ship, with lights and contrails.
- There is no limit to the number of contrail emitters in a design. Old designs had a limit of six.
- The size of the contrail emitter icon is the size of the contrail, specifically the size of the trail, not the size of the glow sprite that is at the emitter and is a lot larger than the contrail itself.
Interior features are grouped into rooms by name. Parts that can be named: room, room void, window. This serves several purposes.
- Interior lighting is controlled in each room separately. Parts with the same name get the same lighting as the room.
- Exterior appearance of translucent windows depends upon lighting inside the room.
- Air pressure varies by room. Room voids with the same name have the same air pressure.
Some changes affected the data format of the .SoH file. Existing files should be compatible. If you have any .SoH files that will no longer load, there must be a bug. Don't delete them. Tell me and I will fix the bug.