Update 2017-02-14

Details about updates to Shores of Hazeron

Re: Update 2017-02-14

Postby the Lana » Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:01 am

Jorn Stones wrote:All these lines forming 'spokes' kinda bother me xD

That self destruct update is kinda nice too. Happened often enough where I'm on a pirate ship and it just went boom, no more of that.

Do pirate ships actually self destruct? I always thought it was collision damage or the crew missing with their shots.
Just Lana :)
the Lana

Postby Jorn Stones » Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:22 am

the Lana wrote:
Jorn Stones wrote:All these lines forming 'spokes' kinda bother me xD

That self destruct update is kinda nice too. Happened often enough where I'm on a pirate ship and it just went boom, no more of that.

Do pirate ships actually self destruct? I always thought it was collision damage or the crew missing with their shots.

yea, sometimes they do. not sure why; probably a mechanic to get rid of pirate ships after they are no longer needed to be there.
Jorn Stones

Postby Ikkir Isth » Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:01 pm

Haxus wrote:I posted a minor update that makes rings a bit more transparent. They are also thinner.

I may write a shader for them that makes them less transparent where they are thicker. Jorn put the thought in my head and I can't get it out. :geek:

Could be time soon to make it so they get more transparent the closer you are to them.... and start spawning in higher resolution field effects (ice crystals, rotating rocks, etc) colored to match the band / based on spoke thickness... or even full 3d objects of such :ugeek:

Edit: like dis https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zR9KpK1Ua-Q
Edit2: Saturn ring up close*: Image

*for relative values of close
Making things with OpenGL: Image
Working on- an exploration game.
@Ikkir_Isth
Ikkir Isth

Postby Jorn Stones » Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:08 pm

Some rings look really out of proportion as well, compared to their host body...

Makes me think of this

Not sure what anyone else thinks about their looks around small planets... And I've yet to put my eyes on multiple rings around the same body, I imagine that might look weird.

The current rings look pretty good around gas giants though. Was able to get a few nice screens of those. Also, realised that they are now actually thick enough that you can put a ship inside of the debris cloud; at which point the ring just dissapears around you. (one sided texture)
Jorn Stones

Previous

Return to Updates