Update 2017-02-07 Designer Saga Continues

Details about updates to Shores of Hazeron

Update 2017-02-07 Designer Saga Continues

Postby Haxus » Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:36 pm

With the changes this week, ships using the new designs can exist in the game universe, barely. You can't manufacture them yet but I can create them for testing. I will see if I can make them usable before the next update. Then, all the little details.

Be alert to anything broken about the old style ships in this update. They got touched a lot. Ships and crews on the debug server grid seem to be functioning normally.

Clouds Bug
A low res model is used when near a world, while waiting for the higher res model to be finished. That low res model was painting clouds on the ground and also cloud layers in the air, which looked strange. It is fixed.

Design Finalize
A menu option was added to the new designer to finalize a design.
  • A design can be finalized in two ways, as a complete design or as an assembly.
  • Assemblies get little validation. They just require some geometry and a name.
  • Full designs get extensive validation to insure they can be manufactured as a game object. This validation is a bit weak at present; it will get more picky with time. There are lots of invalid constructs that would pass right now.
  • A successfully finalized design or assembly is stored into the library as a new read-only design. The state will show Final or Assembly respectively.
  • Finalizing a design has no effect on the current working design.
  • Only Final and Assembly designs can be published.
  • Only Final designs can be manufactured.
  • The finalize option can be run in the off line designer to check a design.
Design Architects
A request was made to preserve architect information at a lower level in the designs, rather than one single design architect.
  • Each part of a design now remembers the architect who created it.
  • Design analysis shows the architect of the design and it also lists the architects of individual parts, by name and avatar id; it doesn't enumerate each part.
  • Parts can be sealed/unsealed by the architect of the part. Sealed parts cannot be edited in object mode, made into other parts, or certain other edits. They can be copied/pasted and stored into files.
  • Parts list shows the architect of a part on the tool tip for the new Seal column.
  • A user interface is needed to remap texture palette entries in sealed parts. It will be done.
Design Manufacturing Process
Design analysis in the new designer now shows the manufacturing process. It's generated very similarly to the old designs so should produce similar results.

Check Doors
Designer paths menu now has an option to check doors. This examines selected doors to decide if they are hull doors or interior doors.

Engineer Stations
Engineer stations and consoles no longer request an FTL module when placing them in non-starships. An error is now reported if you add an FTL system to a non-starship.

Designer Limbo
Fixed a bug that could have left someone in limbo who was in an on line instance of the new designer. A failed SQL query might have left them stuck. It is fixed and I will be sure to scan for people in limbo before restarting the servers.
Haxus
Site Admin

Re: Update 2017-02-07 Designer Saga Continues

Postby pizzasgood » Tue Feb 07, 2017 5:20 pm

Haxus wrote:Be alert to anything broken about the old style ships in this update. They got touched a lot.

Adapt or die.
pizzasgood

Postby Phenoix12 » Tue Feb 07, 2017 5:28 pm

Suggestion:

force-collision boxes

Pretty much a room-void/hull-void type thing instead it forces the encompassed area to act as a solid.

My reasoning to think this is a good idea is simple. Currently with room voids if you make rooms with more details such as pillars, railings, desks and any other such thing that you'd want to actually be solid you'd have to carve the room void around them, possibly using multiple voids to just do one room to get everything you want to be solid to actually be solid.

I think having something LIKE voids but instead forcing areas to be solid would make this much easier.

Quick example. Say you have a room that is a simple squarish shape but with one section of the room being slightly higher then the rest, with a railing and a ramp going up to it. To get this sort of thing to be traversal with no invisible walls and have the railings and ramp be actually solid you'd have to use multiple voids to essentially carve out the ramp, railings, and general shape of the room.

But if we could have something like what I'm suggesting all you'd have to do is make the void to the basic shape of the room (which would make the railings and ramp able to be walked though as if they're not there) and then use the 'force collision areas' to mark out the ramp, and the railings to force them to be solids.

This would be amazing and save a lot of time with setting up rooms to be walkable. Also it would make doing things such as platforms, catwalks, staircases, and decorative furniture (that you'd want to be solid) much easier.

Make it less tedious and time consuming to have to cave out the room voids to fit your nice table or shelf actually be a physical thing in the ship that you could put stuff on without having to use a lot of voids to accomplish.

Also could be used for doors along side of room voids. Instead of setting a room void to be linked to a open door state you could set a collision box to box to be linked to the close door state. Or even use both to create some interesting door designs.

Well. Hope you read this Haxus.

Keep up the good work.
Phenoix12

Postby Greydog » Tue Feb 07, 2017 5:48 pm

I don't know if you saw the issues I was having with the online designers after the last update.
viewtopic.php?f=125&t=8954&start=10#p98805

It turns out, the issue was that upon entering you would immediately start sliding away from the grid at a fast rate. If you didn't "hit the breaks" (Q, Spacebar) right away you would wind up so far away that you couldn't see the grid.

That seems to be fixed ;)

My existing ships seem to work ok as well.
I plan on living forever ..so far so good!

Shores of Hazeron Repository
Greydog

Postby Haxus » Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:09 pm

Build is going slowly. At this rate, it will be pretty late tonight before the builds finish.

This update will not be posted until tomorrow. I'd prefer to be in the game for a while to listen for any screaming, rather than post an update before heading to bed.
Haxus
Site Admin

Postby Deantwo » Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:13 am

Haxus wrote:Designer Limbo
Fixed a bug that could have left someone in limbo who was in an on line instance of the new designer. A failed SQL query might have left them stuck. It is fixed and I will be sure to scan for people in limbo before restarting the servers.

Hoping this also fix the crash loop that Deantwo is stuck in. Maybe server restart will fix it, but then the crash bug won't be found. ^^;

Port to where Deantwo is and see if you crash before deploying the update?
I invalidate your reality and wait for it to be refreshed.
Deantwo

Postby Zoyd » Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:26 am

Is it possible to move the grid up or down using key commands? I would like to be able to set the direction of the grid and then be able to move it up or down the distance of one square. Similar to how we used to move up or down in decks in the old designer but be able to go + or - in the direction the grid is set. Not sure if I am explaining it correctly but if there are questions I will try to answer them.

If this is not currently in the designer I am hoping it could be added without too much trouble.

Thanks.
Zoyd

Postby Haxus » Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:29 am

To move the grid up or down, use the move grid command. When it asks for the new location, enter the movement vector into the input box on the tool bar.

For example, to move the grid up 10 units, enter 0,0,10. Since zeros are the default, you could just enter ,,10 leaving out the zeros.

To go down enter ,,-10.

3m is close to a deck height, so I suppose ,,3 would be a better example.

In the old designs, deck spacing is 8'.
Haxus
Site Admin

Postby Haxus » Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:31 am

Deantwo wrote:but then the crash bug won't be found

It will be back. Bugs never seem to go away by themselves. ;)

I can't debug it easily before the update because of a version change. I'll tackle it after the update if it's still an issue.
Haxus
Site Admin

Postby the Lana » Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:44 am

Well, the update's been posted, and I've broken it in about 10 seconds XD

Tried to import a 3ds in offline designer, will try again.

Edit: So far it just freezes up when i click "OK" to import.
Last edited by the Lana on Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Just Lana :)
the Lana

Next

Return to Updates