Status Report 2017-01-30

Details about updates to Shores of Hazeron

Status Report 2017-01-30

Postby Haxus » Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:40 am

There will not be an update this week.

The majority of work last week was of the kind where you hope nothing appears to change when it's all done. That was successful and the build/testing at the end of the week was good. Old style space ships still seem to work just like they did the week before.

There is not much point in building an update, except to discover any mistakes made along the way. Building and posting all platforms takes most of a day so skipping the build gives more time for the final push to the end.

I don't mean the final complete every polished detail end. I mean the first pass through the process of implementing these new ships, the first arrival at the destination. From there, it is a refining process to tie up all the loose ends and fix coding errors.

I am personally looking forward to that phase because I will be able to be more present in the game on line. I have missed it, being mostly isolated for the past few months. Like now; the current version I am working on is no longer compatible with the servers. Until the servers are updated with these changes, I cannot login while testing my work in progress; I have to use the debug servers. I could use the posted SoH client but that does not help me get any work done.

For those curious C++ programmers who would like a little more technical information about last weeks changes, here is what happened.

A new Vessel base class was inserted between the current space ship object and its previous base class.

All references to the old space ship object were changed to the new Vessel class throughout the code. This of course caused a large number of build errors.

To resolve those build errors, space ship functions were moved into the Vessel class whenever the code was generic enough to allow it. Remaining errors were resolved by adding pure virtual functions to the Vessel class definition.

At this point all code builds and executes without errors. Space ships still work the way they did before. All code that deals with space ships does so using the Vessel class.

A new space ship class object was then created, derived from the Vessel class. Code stubs were created to override all necessary virtual functions and to satisfy the pure virtual function declarations of the Vessel class.

That produced a list of about 130 code stubs. Work began on implementing those code stubs. Many are just a few lines of code; others take considerable work. In all cases so far, the code in the new space ship object is less than the code in the old space ship.
My focus this week is filling in those code stubs.

Once those code stubs are finished, the new space ships will be as functional in the game as the old ships. That includes the ability of the AI to move around inside them. New features likely won't be implemented yet, like retractable landing gear and turbo lifts.
Haxus
Site Admin

Re: Status Report 2017-01-30

Postby Ikkir Isth » Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:11 am

Haxus wrote:A new Vessel base class was inserted between the current space ship object and its previous base class.

Soon:
enum VesselTypes {....VESSEL_NUCLEAR,....};
#typedef Vessel Wessel

Making things with OpenGL: Image
Working on- an exploration game.
@Ikkir_Isth
Ikkir Isth

Postby Deantwo » Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:35 am

Thanks for the info, interesting read!
Looking very much forward to seeing this finished!
I invalidate your reality and wait for it to be refreshed.
Deantwo

Postby Haxus » Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:10 pm

Ha Ikkir, yes. The Vessel class may likely form the base for other similar objects, like submarines and large aircraft. Basically, anything that can be driven around and walked around inside of.

Deantwo wrote:Looking very much forward to seeing this finished!

Me too. I am getting weary of working on this one thing. It has been a lot of six day weeks, 10-12 hours per day. I've tapped heavily into the mana reserve. It may take a while to build it back up again.
Haxus
Site Admin

Postby Deantwo » Mon Jan 30, 2017 4:39 pm

Haxus wrote:I've tapped heavily into the mana reserve. It may take a while to build it back up again.

There are other ways to fix that.
See: http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/a273/
But I wouldn't recommend it for real.
I invalidate your reality and wait for it to be refreshed.
Deantwo

Postby Greydog » Mon Jan 30, 2017 4:57 pm

Deantwo wrote: There are other ways to fix that.

I would recommend a nice Chicken Alfredo with Tortellini soup ;)
I plan on living forever ..so far so good!

Shores of Hazeron Repository
Greydog

Postby the Lana » Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:26 pm

Haxus I have a quick question that only you can answer.

http://hazeron.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8956
Just Lana :)
the Lana

Postby AnrDaemon » Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:23 am

Haxus wrote:The majority of work last week was of the kind where you hope nothing appears to change when it's all done.

My kind of change.
Yak. Yak never changes.
AnrDaemon

Postby Mr. Mortius » Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:53 pm

I've already begun work designing a pickelhaube helmet for those 1,800 meter diameter moons. The size of the new spaceships seems about right for it.
Mr. Mortius

Postby ResonKinetic » Wed Feb 01, 2017 5:31 pm

can't wait to anticipate playing with the new ships until i have free time.

like it's gonna be super hard for me to get stuff done knowing that i could be flying around in a death star lol
NUMBERZero wrote:You would expect Syndicate to have anything less than TL32?

Ross: "I just wonder what Haxus' philosophy on open-source code is."
Ikkir: "I'm pretty sure his philosophy is 'get fucked.'"
ResonKinetic

Next

Return to Updates