Update 2017-01-24 Design Online, Library and Exchange

Details about updates to Shores of Hazeron

Update 2017-01-24 Design Online, Library and Exchange

Postby Haxus » Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:34 pm

On Line Designer
The new designer can now be entered and used while you are on line.

Design Library
New designer can now store designs into the on line library and load them back again. Three new menu items on the File menu are Open from Library, Save to Library and Delete from Library.

There are two other new items on the file menu, Open from Gear and Save to Gear. They are not finished so they are disabled. Their purpose is to load a design disk you might have in your gear or to save the current design to a blank disk or paper in your gear. Saving a design to a disk will not have a finalizing effect, as it did with the old designer. This is necessary to enable sharing of partially completed designs or assemblies, like turrets, doors and engines.

These new menu options are not visible when in the single-player designer.

It might be prudent to keep copies of your designs as local .SoH files, to prevent loss if a problem occurs with the new design library.

Armor Volume
Someone suggested allocating armor as hull volume. It sounded like a good idea. The report will still aggregate the amount to an armor factor, mainly to fit easily into the current combat system. It could change in the future. The maximum armor factor of 10 is achieved when armor volume equals 1/2 the hull volume. Fractional armor factors are applied properly, so you can have an armor factor like 2.45. Tech level goes up with armor factor like the old designs.

Streamlining
There are now more options for streamlining than simply on or off. Increasing levels of streamlining increase mass, resistance to environmental decay, and maximum speed through various media.
    Unstreamlined - Vulnerable to atmospheric and ocean decay. Slow maximum speed in atmosphere.
    Atmospheric - Immune to atmospheric decay. Vulnerable to ocean decay. Equivalent to current streamlined check box, except for the immunity to decay.
    Sea Surface - Immune to atmospheric decay and ocean decay while on surface. Vulnerable to decay if submerged.
    Submersible - Immune to atmospheric decay and ocean decay.
    Subterranean - Allows low speed penetration of the ground, like some kind of digging machine. This was added for fun; I will likely remove it.
Ocean here refers to water and supercooled liquids. Perhaps the subterranean streamlining could be immune to lava. Your thoughts on this topic are welcome.

Spacecraft Design Exchange
The Spacecraft window now has a Design Exchange tab. It is accessible everywhere. You don't have to go to a specific building to use it.

The design exchange enables you to purchase designs published by others. You can also publish and unpublish your own designs. Currently, the buy button is disabled so you could publish a design but nobody could buy it. I'm not quite ready to let one of these new designs exist on media, though the media commodity objects have been created and they're ready to go.

Publisher of a design has to be the architect of the design. Designs can be Final or Unfinished when published. There are some options for publishing.
    Price per copy of the design. This is the price to buy the design from the exchange. The money goes to the publisher. This is the only compensation the architect receives. The old architect commission feature is going away.

Radio button choices:
    Can Copy allows purchaser to do everything with the design. They can copy parts to the clipboard and save the design to a file or the library (as a new design). They could then publish designs based on the design as if it was theirs. Purchaser can manufacture the design if it is Final.
    Can View allows purchaser to load the design in a design studio. They cannot copy parts to the clipboard or save the file anywhere. Purchaser can manufacture the design if it is Final.
    Can Make allows the purchaser to manufacture the design at a spacecraft factory. This only applies to Final designs, because Unfinished designs cannot be manufactured. The design cannot be viewed in a design studio.

Use Once check box allows the purchaser to build only one ship using the design. It can be a private purchase or manufactured by a process at a spacecraft factory. The media is destroyed when a ship is purchased or a process is configured to build it. When a process builds it, the process is cleared after the ship is made. This option is only available for Final designs.

Stance Restriction prevents people from other empires from purchasing or using the design, based on the political stance of your empire toward their empire. This is preserved with the media, so transferring it to another avatar does not bypass the restriction. Your current empire is stored with this restriction, so you must republish if you change empires. The server checks this restriction when listing published designs, so a design restricted to specific empires will not be seen in the exchange by people from other empires.
Grid XY, XZ, and YZ Buttons
Buttons were added to quickly change the orientation of the grid. These buttons were added to the Helpers menu and to the designer tool bar.

Design Architect
FYI. Architect information is not rigidly preserved in .SoH files. The information might be in there but the person who loads a design from a .SoH file becomes the architect of the working design.
Haxus
Site Admin

Re: Update 2017-01-24 Design Online, Library and Exchange

Postby Jey123456 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:37 pm

oh oh oh , does that mean we can actually build ships ingame using the new designer now ? or is it just that you can design online but not build yet ?
Jey123456

Postby Haxus » Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:39 pm

Jey123456 wrote:you can design online but not build yet ?

Affirmative.

The next step is to make one of these new ships start functioning in the game. A lot of loose ends will get tied up during that phase.

I will probably achieve the goal of having one of these new ships "operating" in the universe by the end of January. They won't be done yet, however.
Haxus
Site Admin

Postby Jey123456 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:51 pm

Haxus wrote:
Jey123456 wrote:you can design online but not build yet ?

Affirmative.

The next step is to make one of these new ships start functioning in the game. A lot of loose ends will get tied up during that phase.

I will probably achieve the goal of having one of these new ships "operating" in the universe by the end of January. They won't be done yet, however.

awh, darn xD. i got excited for a few minutes here !

oh well, its coming at least !
Jey123456

Postby ResonKinetic » Tue Jan 24, 2017 3:10 pm

Haxus wrote:Subterranean - Allows low speed penetration of the ground, like some kind of digging machine. This was added for fun; I will likely remove it.

digging would be awesome some time in the future :^)
NUMBERZero wrote:You would expect Syndicate to have anything less than TL32?

Ross: "I just wonder what Haxus' philosophy on open-source code is."
Ikkir: "I'm pretty sure his philosophy is 'get fucked.'"
ResonKinetic

Postby Onepercent » Tue Jan 24, 2017 3:10 pm

Grid XY, XZ, and YZ Buttons
Buttons were added to quickly change the orientation of the grid. These buttons were added to the Helpers menu and to the designer tool bar.

This takes the cake.

TOPS HAXUS!
Onepercent

Postby the Lana » Tue Jan 24, 2017 4:03 pm

I was concerned that I wouldn't really have any use for a submarine ship as opposed to just using a regular ship underwater. Now i'm not worried about that!
Just Lana :)
the Lana

Postby Deantwo » Tue Jan 24, 2017 4:34 pm

Haxus wrote:Armor Volume
Someone suggested allocating armor as hull volume. It sounded like a good idea. The report will still aggregate the amount to an armor factor, mainly to fit easily into the current combat system. It could change in the future. The maximum armor factor of 10 is achieved when armor volume equals 1/2 the hull volume. Fractional armor factors are applied properly, so you can have an armor factor like 2.45. Tech level goes up with armor factor like the old designs.

Yeah it sounds better and more understandable than the old armor level system.

Haxus wrote:Streamlining
There are now more options for streamlining than simply on or off. Increasing levels of streamlining increase mass, resistance to environmental decay, and maximum speed through various media.
    Unstreamlined - Vulnerable to atmospheric and ocean decay. Slow maximum speed in atmosphere.
    Atmospheric - Immune to atmospheric decay. Vulnerable to ocean decay. Equivalent to current streamlined check box, except for the immunity to decay.
    Sea Surface - Immune to atmospheric decay and ocean decay while on surface. Vulnerable to decay if submerged.
    Submersible - Immune to atmospheric decay and ocean decay.
    Subterranean - Allows low speed penetration of the ground, like some kind of digging machine. This was added for fun; I will likely remove it.
Ocean here refers to water and supercooled liquids. Perhaps the subterranean streamlining could be immune to lava. Your thoughts on this topic are welcome.

I do like this idea. Finally streamlining will matter and there will be a slight disadvantage to having a ship that is can land and operate in the atmosphere.
The water options only make it even more awesome!

As for the possible subterranean option, maybe it would be more interesting for vehicles rather than spacecraft. Give it a maximum depth it can go below the surface and a toggle of rather or not it should dig, and then we have the Nod Subterranean APC.

Haxus wrote:Spacecraft Design Exchange
The Spacecraft window now has a Design Exchange tab. It is accessible everywhere. You don't have to go to a specific building to use it.

Use Once check box allows the purchaser to build only one ship using the design. It can be a private purchase or manufactured by a process at a spacecraft factory. The media is destroyed when a ship is purchased or a process is configured to build it. When a process builds it, the process is cleared after the ship is made. This option is only available for Final designs.

Was hoping it would be restricted to while being at the Design Studio building, since that would just make sense and be one less button on the UI. But lets see how it goes first.

Rather than "use once", wouldn't it be more interesting to be able to define a number between 1 and 99 or something?
Last edited by Deantwo on Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I invalidate your reality and wait for it to be refreshed.
Deantwo

Postby Haxus » Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:05 pm

I forgot to mention that the library stores a screen grab of the design. It shows up when you browse your designs.

It also shows up in the exchange, if you publish the design.
Haxus
Site Admin

Postby Deantwo » Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:10 pm

Haxus wrote:I forgot to mention that the library stores a screen grab of the design. It shows up when you browse your designs.

It also shows up in the exchange, if you publish the design.

Nice, was thinking about suggesting that if you didn't do it on your own.
I invalidate your reality and wait for it to be refreshed.
Deantwo

Next

Return to Updates