Update 2017-01-11 Celarius' Ship Design

Details about updates to Shores of Hazeron

Update 2017-01-11 Celarius' Ship Design

Postby Haxus » Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:46 pm

Collision Bug
Celarious sent a ship design that revealed a bug in the collision model. It is fixed. The collision model takes slightly longer to generate now.

File Load Slow
Celarious' ship design file was really slow to load because the collision model was getting created during the load. It no longer does that. The file loads much more quickly.

Face Puncher Makes Many Splinters
The reason Celarious' ship design file was so slow was because of a part that had two circular holes punched into it, resulting in thousands of tiny splintered faces. :oops:

I put some work into the face cutter/puncher. Now punching the holes in those faces produces less than a hundred faces, instead of thousands.

Unfortunately, the result has many more visible edge lines, making a surface look more fractured than it was before. Remember the lines aren't visible in the final model.

Existing faces won't change. You'll have to repunch them if you want less faces.

If you want to compare the before/after result, select all the faces of your punched part in object mode and fracture them. Then exit object mode and click on the part. The status bar will show the number of triangles as faces. Repunch the face and compare the result.

Face Puncher Punches Too Much
As a stop gap to the face splintering bonanza, I was going to suggest cutting across the face to isolate the area that would be affected, before making the circular hole cut. That didn't work.

The face cutter no longer chops up faces that should not be affected. So, it might sometimes give a better result if you cut out the area before making elaborate cuts in a large face, just to isolate the destruction.

Design Tip
I imagine some players have wondered how tightly their hull pieces need to fit together. Some people want them to fit tightly with perfect seams, because that's the way they like it. Others might not bother if they knew they didn't have to.

I added the following information to the general usage tips, available from the Help, Usage Tips menu option.

Hull sections do not have to be sculpted to form airtight continuous shells where they join each other. This is inefficient and difficult to model. It is much better to butt an engine pylon into the side of the hull,
rather than carving a hole so it can make a perfect junction. Carving that hole breaks the side face into many tiny polygons. It is likely unnecessary, unless people are intended to walk or see through the opening.

Triangles and Quads
When in object mode, you can now add individual triangles and quads. These do not require prepositioning of the grid for any reason. The clockwise side is the front side.

Clothes on Solo Avatar
Your avatar is now clothed when using the off line designer.
Haxus
Site Admin

Re: Update 2017-01-11 Celarius' Ship Design

Postby Celarious » Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:23 pm

Err... I was a bit confused about whether or not we needed different hull pieces to fit perfectly, and now that you've cleared it up, thanks! Should be a lot easier now haha, no more exact face punching
Celarious

Postby Haxus » Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:39 pm

It seemed like something a lot of people were unclear about.
Haxus
Site Admin

Postby fugue2005 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:45 pm

a question about doors and windows, if i'm placing a door or window do i have to cut a hole for it or is simply placing the door/window enough. i've tried cutting with jigs but it didn't seem to make actual holes.
fugue2005

Postby Phenoix12 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:36 am

I'm getting some oddness with the lighting in the designer...

It has something to do with those faces, when importing the .3ds file, were reversed and I had to make them face outwards manually. Not sure why it would cause them to appear in shadow.

ALSO

I can no longer seem to find the option to apply textures to faces... unsure if it was moved or just disappeared.
Phenoix12

Postby Celarious » Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:49 am

Phenoix12 wrote:I'm getting some oddness with the lighting in the designer...

It has something to do with those faces, when importing the .3ds file, were reversed and I had to make them face outwards manually. Not sure why it would cause them to appear in shadow.

ALSO

I can no longer seem to find the option to apply textures to faces... unsure if it was moved or just disappeared.

You have to select all faces and vertices in the object and then click on "Smooth vertices" to fix lighting. Also, the texture wrapper was added, which you can find under "View". You might have to enlarge it as it opens very small
Celarious

Postby Phenoix12 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:23 pm

Celarious wrote:
You have to select all faces and vertices in the object and then click on "Smooth vertices" to fix lighting. Also, the texture wrapper was added, which you can find under "View". You might have to enlarge it as it opens very small

Thanks, this fixed it right up.

Also...
My last two current questions on the new designer.

1. Is it possible to get your actual player model into the new offline designer to walk around so you can size everything properly to them

2. Is there a way to change the default Empire Colors in the offline designer?
Phenoix12

Postby Celarious » Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:12 pm

I also wanted to ask about if there will be a way to see visual/animated effects? Things such as strobe lighting or contrail emissions. Not really too important but would be nice
Celarious

Postby the Lana » Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:12 am

Question: Are landing bays going to require a PHYSICAL envelopment of the landing craft (something a ship can collide with when landing), or will it be possible to have a spot to land on the outer side of the ship and, somehow, still be considered docked?

For example, this work-in-progress:

has one of these:

perched on either "shoulder". Will they be able to be considered "docked" somehow? I could see a workaround, perhaps, where a docking bay is made transparent, and constructed around them, and the open door state simply has the polygons around the shuttles go away? I don't know, will this work?
Just Lana :)
the Lana

Postby Onepercent » Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:34 pm

You've just opened pandoras box by asking that question lmao
Onepercent

Next

Return to Updates