Update 2017-01-09 Designer Paths, Modules

Details about updates to Shores of Hazeron

Re: Update 2017-01-09 Designer Paths, Modules

Postby Haxus » Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:36 pm

Greydog wrote:Can the turret station be inside a manned turret? (bubble turret)


That should work. The turret base is going to turn in response to the turret gunner turning. The turret gunner has a screen but it isn't set up to turn with the gunner. It will not display info that must be in your view at all times. That would be handled with on-screen elements, like the current indicators when using a turret.

I actually don't know yet what will be on that screen. Nothing is currently planned. It's just a place-holder in case I decide to do something with it.

If you wanted to orient the gunner upside down, you could make a room void just for him. The room up direction determines which way they sit in chairs.
User avatar
Haxus
Site Admin
 
Posts: 2615
Joined: Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:00 pm

Re: Update 2017-01-09 Designer Paths, Modules

Postby Haxus » Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:39 pm

Win32 client update posted.
OS X for OpenGL 3.3 client update posted.
Ubuntu 16 client update posted.
Mint 18 client update building...
Fedora 24 client update pending...
Debian 8 client update pending...
User avatar
Haxus
Site Admin
 
Posts: 2615
Joined: Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:00 pm

Re: Update 2017-01-09 Designer Paths, Modules

Postby Greydog » Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:38 pm

Haxus wrote:That should work. The turret base is going to turn in response to the turret gunner turning. The turret gunner has a screen but it isn't set up to turn with the gunner. It will not display info that must be in your view at all times. That would be handled with on-screen elements, like the current indicators when using a turret.

I actually don't know yet what will be on that screen. Nothing is currently planned. It's just a place-holder in case I decide to do something with it.

If you wanted to orient the gunner upside down, you could make a room void just for him. The room up direction determines which way they sit in chairs.


Interesting.

If I were to make the inside of a turret base a room, and place the seat and console in it, would the whole thing rotate according to the firing arc you set for the turret?
I plan on living forever ..so far so good!

Shores of Hazeron Repository
User avatar
Greydog
 
Posts: 552
Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:44 am

Re: Update 2017-01-09 Designer Paths, Modules

Postby the Lana » Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:53 pm

Docking gangways? Can a room change shape, such as extending into someone's open docking bay?
Just Lana :)
User avatar
the Lana
 
Posts: 348
Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:23 am

Re: Update 2017-01-09 Designer Paths, Modules

Postby Haxus » Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:55 pm

Only the turret base will rotate, which is like a piece of hull.

You would need a room inside it for the gunner, but it would not rotate or move. The turret would rotate around the room. This wouldn't be a problem unless the geometry collides and looks weird. The gunner wouldn't really notice because their point of view will be moved to the gun/turret when they are "in" the station, as if it had a camera instead of a scope.
User avatar
Haxus
Site Admin
 
Posts: 2615
Joined: Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:00 pm

Re: Update 2017-01-09 Designer Paths, Modules

Postby Haxus » Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:57 pm

Mint 18 client update posted.
Fedora 24 client update building...
Debian 8 client update building...
User avatar
Haxus
Site Admin
 
Posts: 2615
Joined: Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:00 pm

Re: Update 2017-01-09 Designer Paths, Modules

Postby Haxus » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:11 pm

the Lana wrote:Can a room change shape, such as extending into someone's open docking bay?


I might add a new kind of hull part that can be animated like a landing gear. A different room void could be associated with each state of the hull part, so the collision model changes shape with it.

The bat shaped ship in Star Wars The Force Awakens got me thinking about it. The wings could be done now as part of the landing gear, but then their deployment is always synchronous with the gear. That might not always be wanted.

Just need to think about how to control these things, likely the helm. That could get complicated if you want to control them all separately.

Maybe a design can have one.

That would work for most ships, and X-wing fighters.
User avatar
Haxus
Site Admin
 
Posts: 2615
Joined: Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:00 pm

Re: Update 2017-01-09 Designer Paths, Modules

Postby Haxus » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:39 pm

Fedora 24 client update posted.
Debian 8 client update posted.

Actually posting them now. Give them a few minutes.
User avatar
Haxus
Site Admin
 
Posts: 2615
Joined: Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:00 pm

Re: Update 2017-01-09 Designer Paths, Modules

Postby Greydog » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:06 pm

I'm imagining something like this.

"fist" part of wing doubling as thruster and landing gear. Rear legs as well ;)

Image
I plan on living forever ..so far so good!

Shores of Hazeron Repository
User avatar
Greydog
 
Posts: 552
Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:44 am

Re: Update 2017-01-09 Designer Paths, Modules

Postby Ikkir Isth » Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:32 am

Haxus wrote:
the Lana wrote:Can a room change shape, such as extending into someone's open docking bay?


I might add a new kind of hull part that can be animated like a landing gear. A different room void could be associated with each state of the hull part, so the collision model changes shape with it.

The bat shaped ship in Star Wars The Force Awakens got me thinking about it. The wings could be done now as part of the landing gear, but then their deployment is always synchronous with the gear. That might not always be wanted.

Just need to think about how to control these things, likely the helm. That could get complicated if you want to control them all separately.

Maybe a design can have one.

That would work for most ships, and X-wing fighters.


Extendable ladders/stairs/ramps would definitely be great for a lot of things. As far as docking goes, would love to see some pre-set clamps/variable size clamps that could be attached to spacecraft to do port-based docking under the same animateable parts rules.

Image
Image
Making things with OpenGL: Image
Working on- an exploration game.
@Ikkir_Isth
User avatar
Ikkir Isth
 
Posts: 2322
Joined: Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:22 pm

Previous

Return to Updates

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron