Update 2017-01-09 Designer Paths, Modules

Details about updates to Shores of Hazeron

Update 2017-01-09 Designer Paths, Modules

Postby Haxus » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:42 pm

All of the changes today apply only to the new designer. Almost all the new stuff has associated usage tips with more information. A bunch of new menu options were added to the Paths menu.

You can now see yourself in the designer. I'll see about putting some clothes on the guy in solo designer mode.

Room Names
Room names were nerfed. They didn't belong there. Read on to find out where they went.

Collisions
You can now bump into the solid parts of the design. The entire volume of hull parts and landing gear is considered solid, for collision purposes.

An algorithm creates a collision solid from each hull and each state of landing gear parts. It's pretty quick to build the data but not fast enough to do it automatically all the time. You have to refresh it after making changes to hull or landing gear parts. Collision resolution runs fast and uses little memory, even when the design gets very large and complex; that was the goal.

Holes through a part become enveloped in the solid mass. Each part is treated individually so holes through the overall design can be achieved using multiple parts, just not through one single part.

Collision solids are not visible. I may work on an algorithm to make them visible eventually but you'll just have to bump into them for now. It is not made of triangles or faces; it would be a difficult task to create a surface model of it.

Depressions in the surface also become shadowed by the envelope. What about my landing bay? Read on.

Hull Voids
Hull voids are volumes formed by faces, drawn like an extrusion, though they can be any shape. They just have to be minimal and airtight.

Hull voids negate the solidity of solid areas. They are used to get into those holes and depressions that are shadowed by the solid algorithm. Hull voids are invisible in the game so the idea is to put them in where you want them and have them extend outside the collision solid. Excess outside the solid is ignored; it is best to extend them outside to avoid ambiguity.

A hull void could be used to get through a hole created in a single part, without having to split the part.

Hull voids would be used to access a landing bay that is always open to the outside. If the bay has a door, or artificial gravity, a room void might be more appropriate.

Room Voids
Similar to hull voids, room voids are added inside a design to define the areas accessible to people and things.

Room voids have a choice of gravity options.
  • Natural Gravity uses the gravity of the external environment of the spacecraft. The direction of gravity matches the gravity of the external environment. In zero-g conditions, there is no gravity inside the room void.
  • Artificial Gravity provides gravity depending upon the life support module in use. When the LS module provides gravity, artificial gravity depends on functioning life support. When the LS module does not provide gravity, or it is broken, artificial gravity depends on functioning engines. The up direction is specified for room voids that provide artificial gravity.
  • Zero Gravity negates gravity depending upon the life support module in use, to create a zero-G room. When the LS module provides gravity, zero gravity depends on functioning life support. When the LS module does not provide gravity, or it is broken, gravity matches the external environment.
Rooms voids can be named. Multiple room voids with the same name are treated as the same room. This is true even if they are not touching each other.

Air pressure is the same between all room voids that share the same name. This is intended to enable air locks to work properly.

Modules
Design properties options were removed for adding and removing optional modules. Those modules are now configured when placing control stations that operate systems with a module.

The module of an existing control station shows on the status bar when it is selected.

Existing designs will have incorrect modules on control stations that need them. Those are: fire control, transporter, turret, medic, sensor, shield. This will eventually show up in the design analysis when it's done, with some kind of warning when the module is broken.

Ladder Paths
Ladder paths can now be drawn to define where a ladder or similar device is climbed. It also specifies the facing of the climber. Ladder paths do not have to be vertical. They can go any direction, so they could be used in illogical ways.

When you 'E' onto a ladder, the ladder path is the guide that your CG follows as you move up and down the ladder.

Walk Paths
Walks paths can now be drawn to show NPCs how to find their way around. Walk paths interconnect with ladder paths to create a pathing network through the design.

Special Part Locations
All special part locations now show up. These are things like the transporter pad locations, patient locations, launch vectors, turret axes and firing vectors, etc.

Many of them can only be seen when edge lines are displayed. This revealed a problem with some existing ones so they might not be where you think you put them. Just replace them.

Turrets
When the gunner station state of a turret is selected as current, all states of the turret now become visible so you can see its edges and faces all at once.

This is a stop-gap until I work on this further. There are parameters not set at present to limit rotation arc and lift arc to specific ranges. A little more work is needed on turrets.

Gravity
Gravity can be turned on/off on the Paths menu. It only affects you when you are inside a room void with gravity.

Solids Obstruct Movement
Solids can obstruct your movement if enabled on the Paths menu. This may require a refresh of obstructions, which is another option on the Paths menu.
Haxus
Site Admin

Re: Update 2017-01-09 Designer Paths, Modules

Postby Celarious » Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:10 pm

Got this when trying to run the new designer;
Celarious

Postby Haxus » Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:13 pm

Yikes! Thanks. I'm on it.

Update is posted with the missing AuTexture13.dll.
Haxus
Site Admin

Postby Haxus » Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:26 pm

I should have said the Win64 update is posted.

No critical versions changed so I am posting them as I build them today.

OS X for OpenGL 4.1 update posted.
Haxus
Site Admin

Postby Celarious » Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:56 pm

Just wanted to say thanks for adding the gravity feature! Currently I'm trying to figure out how hull voids work and why my main hull piece isn't colliding when other parts are haha
Celarious

Postby Haxus » Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:01 pm

Egad! A bug?

If the problem persists, would you email me the .SoH file so I can debug it?
Haxus
Site Admin

Postby the Lana » Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:14 pm

Haxus wrote:
Air pressure is the same between all room voids that share the same name. This is intended to enable air locks to work properly.

EEEEEEEEEE3EKK! JOY
Just Lana :)
the Lana

Postby Celarious » Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:19 pm

Sent. Just to mention that I've already tried turning collisions off/on and refreshing the collision data many times.
Celarious

Postby Haxus » Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:24 pm

I figured you probably had tried. There's only so many buttons to push.

I'll probably dig into it tomorrow. It's got me curious.
Haxus
Site Admin

Postby Greydog » Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:27 pm

Can the turret station be inside a manned turret? (bubble turret)
I plan on living forever ..so far so good!

Shores of Hazeron Repository
Greydog

Next

Return to Updates