Update 2017-01-02 Designer Textures

Details about updates to Shores of Hazeron

Update 2017-01-02 Designer Textures

Postby Haxus » Mon Jan 02, 2017 3:06 pm

Texture Wrapper
Texture wrapper is reasonably complete in the new designer. Like everything, it is functional enough to get the job done but there's a million ways to make it better.

I think I could do all the texturing I need to design a ship now, so I am moving on to the next step, collision and pathing. That will make the designs feel solid and enable people to walk around in them.

Story Startup Bug
Some story segments require the avatar to possess an item. The story engine was not checking containers inside of containers when looking for those items. This could have caused stories to not progress and stories to not start at all. The function that checks for those items now checks containers no matter the depth of containers inside other containers.

Server Update
Servers are being rebuilt and updated. I didn't restart them at the last update so the fix to stop things falling from walls hasn't been posted until today. A couple of other minor changes also needed posting.
Haxus
Site Admin

Re: Update 2017-01-02 Designer Textures

Postby Deantwo » Mon Jan 02, 2017 5:28 pm

Always an update just as I go to bed. ^^;

I need to give the new designer a second try. Just had my hands full lately. ^^;
Anyway, happy new year!
AnrDaemon is the solution to the [s]Fermi Paradox[/s] Hazeron suggestion flood problem, the great suggestion filter.
Deantwo

Postby Haxus » Mon Jan 02, 2017 5:47 pm

This is the most recent update in a huge change to Shores of Hazeron, in progress since October. Thank you for your patience while I devote almost all of my attention to this one thing; it's a big one. Perhaps more than anyone, I am looking forward to getting this finished so I can get back to a normal pace of bug fixes and improvements.

The development of the new designer will lead to much more beautiful spacecraft, buildings, vehicles, items and who knows what next. Other improvements are gained behind the scenes, that ease the load on the servers. This is a necessary transition that will provide a better play experience for all. It is fun to think about players creating content with the level of 3D detail afforded by the new designer. I can hardly wait.

My goal is to have the new spacecraft operating in the game by the end of this month. Most of the work is completed but there's still a lot to do. Spacecraft are complex due to the number of operational systems and little details. Buildings will be a snap after spacecraft are finished; at least I won't have to write a whole new designer.

The code base for Shores of Hazeron swelled from 940k lines on October 19, 2016 to 1,030k today. Printed out at 45 lines per page, that would fill almost 46 500 page books, four of them dedicated to the new designer. I once thought I wanted to be an author. Writing 46 books would be a respectable achievement for any author, so I am patting myself on the back. <crack> ooh ow.

You don't write very many million-line programs in your life. It struck me as a feat. I told Paula, fancifully, that if this thing ever really gets off the ground, I might have it printed into a set of hard cover books, sort of as a trophy. Then maybe my mom, who is an avid reader, might appreciate it, at least the weight of it, instead of waving her hands over her ears saying, "Ya ya ya, I don't understand computers." :D
Haxus
Site Admin

Postby Ikkir Isth » Mon Jan 02, 2017 8:38 pm

Progress toward next achievement- Steam Release:
:_____________/---:
Keep at it! As soon as you can get these big things done (and a few gameplay tweaks) you can actually get decent looking stuff on steam (without everyone just going UUUGH) for a proper, true first-impression release!
Making things with OpenGL: Image
Working on- an exploration game.
@Ikkir_Isth
Ikkir Isth

Postby Celarious » Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:59 pm

Thanks Haxus! The wrapper works, and seems to provide easy texturing, just have to remember that the wrapper window opens very small and has to be enlarged.
Celarious

Return to Updates