Update 2016-12-22

Details about updates to Shores of Hazeron

Re: Update 2016-12-22

Postby Haxus » Tue Dec 27, 2016 10:21 am

You could do all of the major modeling in Blender and import it as a 3ds file.

If you texture it in Blender, it must be done using only one texture. That's all the importer understands. All faces are mapped to that one texture.

Face smoothing is lost so you must do that in the SoH designer after importing the faces.

You could create the primary appearance of a door in Blender. Keep it as a separate object. Separate Blender objects come through as separate meshes in SoH. Pick the door mesh and use the 'Make Door' command to turn it into a door.

Meshes can be changed back and forth between one kind of thing and another, like a hull to a room or vice versa. It works fine. The only property a room has that a hull doesn't is an assignable name. That name would be lost if you turned a room into a hull.

The shapes of meshes can deviate radically from their original form. A sphere can be modified heavily into something else. Nothing about the mesh knows that it was originally a sphere, or extrusion, or whatever. Those shapes are just convenient starts to hull and room meshes. The original shape has no lingering effect.

Chairs and consoles can/should be modeled if you do not plan to use the old-style swiveling chair/screen consoles. Create whatever appearance of a chair and console you want. Leave out a rectangle for the screen polygon. Then use a station command to place the display screen into the rectangle and indicate where the operator sits.

The chair you make will not turn or swivel. It will remain stationary like the chairs of a game table. I will wait to make custom chairs movable, because that starts to get into the topic of custom items. When I implement custom items. the meshes of your chairs could be copied/pasted to a new chair item that is more mobile.
Haxus
Site Admin

Postby Greydog » Tue Dec 27, 2016 11:29 am

Cool, thanks!

I hope you took a relaxing holiday weekend :)

A couple follow up questions ..

- So I still assume the windows need the jig to illuminate properly?
- Can I also assume that UV coordinates won't translate until the unwrapper is implimented. Are standard tiled textures what is needed atm?
- What, if any, texture data survives the import process?
I plan on living forever ..so far so good!

Shores of Hazeron Repository
Greydog

Postby Phenoix12 » Tue Dec 27, 2016 12:42 pm

Would it be possable for us to get more then one slot for custom textures? Just having one seems kinda limiting, especially if you want to make use of custom and the stock textures.
Phenoix12

Postby Haxus » Tue Dec 27, 2016 9:37 pm

Any part can be made into a window. The jig is not essential, just a tool.

Texture coords do come across. They don't have to be tiled.
Haxus
Site Admin

Postby Greydog » Wed Dec 28, 2016 4:08 pm

Ahh, ok. I was under the impression that the jig was used to cut out the windows in order for Hazeron to know what should be illuminated. It's good to know I can just build that stuff in blender.

tyvm :)

Greydog

Postby Greydog » Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:41 pm

How do you designate a stairway or ladder as a path for the ai to use?

Greydog

Postby the Lana » Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:56 pm

Greydog wrote:How do you designate a stairway or ladder as a path for the ai to use?

Along that same line of thought, are there going to be minimum room heights? I make small races, not bug sized, but dwarfy...I make a hallway too small for other races could be trouble
Just Lana :)
the Lana

Postby Haxus » Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:43 pm

Ladder paths will be described with a line segment part that defines the ladder's travel path and facing. It will allow for sloping ladders like the sloping Jeffries tubes from the main hull to the warp drive nacelles on the original Enterprise. It also allows ladders that are only present due to the state of a part, like a ladder that deploys when a hatch opens or the landing gear is extended.

This only defines the path. You have to draw the ladder.
Haxus
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Updates