2016-12-10 Designer Status w/Ships

Details about updates to Shores of Hazeron

Re: 2016-12-10 Designer Status w/Ships

Postby Deantwo » Sun Dec 11, 2016 2:22 pm

Haxus wrote:I want to see a user interface that lets me browse all published designs in the game. It should let me buy designs that others have published. It should also let me publish my own designs and manage them, like who can access them, price, etc.

Yay! My little idea gets to be reality!
See: (Idea thread) Public Design Library Idea

Ooh and if you need more little interface ideas, see: (Idea thread) Building Labor Tab Ideas

Haxus wrote:The harvester drone from Gravity Well VI.

That thing is even more scary than I remember it being!
I invalidate your reality and wait for it to be refreshed.
Deantwo

Postby Phenoix12 » Sun Dec 11, 2016 5:04 pm

Haxus wrote:I want to see a user interface that lets me browse all published designs in the game. It should let me buy designs that others have published. It should also let me publish my own designs and manage them, like who can access them, price, etc.

I kinda like and don't like this idea...

I like it because publishing your ship designs to your empire IS kinda clunky and sometimes doesn't even work right now... Having a new system to manage all that would be nice.

I kinda don't like it because I'm kinda a fan of the system where if you want your ship design to be purchased by other empires they'd either have to come to your ports or you would have to go to their ports and set up the design... kinda like spreading your brand. While I do belive that that needs to be made a little easier to manage, just having a menu you can click on and get every public ship design out there makes it a little too easy to get decently designed ships.

Also just how deep will the management be...

Will only the leader of the empire be able to manage these things?

Will we be able to set who can buy what kind of ship even down to a citizen level... like disallowing private citizens who don't have governmental ranks from buying certain designs? (Personally I'd set that up so just a normal guy in my empire can only buy 'civilian' class ships.)

If you go with that whole public design list idea we can still set ships we design to be our Empire only right? (So that they'd appear in all ship yards controlled by our empire.)

Will we be able to remove ship designs from the list of ones our empire can create?

Well I have to many questions now so I'm going to stop tying before I take up an entire page...
Phenoix12

Postby Haxus » Sun Dec 11, 2016 6:49 pm

Management of your designs should enable you to publish and unpublished your designs. You should also have control over who sees them when browsing for designs: everyone, your empire, certain people maybe, or just you, that sort of thing.

The thought of traveling to spread your designs was behind the current system. The user interface could be improved, bugs fixed. It lead to the independent development of a ship design repository on line, for people to share designs. That has serious flaws: the same designs get uploaded repeatedly and thus duplicated in the database; the connection between the design and its architect is lost, to name two.

The goal is to eliminate the need for the on line ship design repository.
Haxus
Site Admin

Postby Ikkir Isth » Sun Dec 11, 2016 8:35 pm

Would definitely like the option for limited runs total (exclusive ships) / limited builds per purchase of design (sell design disc for 2 million, has 3 runs on it, etc), restricted empires / people (say, only people in your buddy list can buy your designs), expiration dates, etc as well.

Of course, I'd also love to be able to build ships as a shipwright and sell the charter to a ship currently in a hangar as well, officially, without having to bring it out and mess around with it :) (preferably Captaining an actual spacedock with workshops and hired NPC shipwrights)
Making things with OpenGL: Image
Working on- an exploration game.
@Ikkir_Isth
Ikkir Isth

Postby zephar » Mon Dec 12, 2016 12:08 am

All looks very promising and I look forward to see where it progresses to =).
zephar

Postby Deantwo » Mon Dec 12, 2016 5:16 am

Haxus wrote:The thought of traveling to spread your designs was behind the current system.

Maybe an option to only share a designs with known empires? It could at least creates a small version of "spreading your design" feeling.

Haxus wrote:It lead to the independent development of a ship design repository on line, for people to share designs. That has serious flaws: the same designs get uploaded repeatedly and thus duplicated in the database; the connection between the design and its architect is lost, to name two.

The idea of someone else using my design without my name on it was the reason I never used the public design repository.
I invalidate your reality and wait for it to be refreshed.
Deantwo

Postby Greydog » Mon Dec 12, 2016 4:13 pm

Haxus wrote:

Surprisingly, the thought of giving up my repository doesn't bother me all that much.

A couple questions..
- How intricate will be able to get with these designs, will there be a need to watch a poly count?

- How will the new ships stats be determined, will we still be filling rooms with modules or do you have something else in mind?
I plan on living forever ..so far so good!

Shores of Hazeron Repository
Greydog

Postby Lexx » Mon Dec 12, 2016 6:02 pm

Greydog wrote:
Haxus wrote:

Surprisingly, the thought of giving up my repository doesn't bother me all that much.

A couple questions..
- How intricate will be able to get with these designs, will there be a need to watch a poly count?

- How will the new ships stats be determined, will we still be filling rooms with modules or do you have something else in mind?

I think a repository giving the free use of the ship's design files would still have place.
Lexx

Postby Phenoix12 » Tue Dec 13, 2016 1:53 pm

Currently the biggest question burning in my brain... how will the new designer work with making buildings? 0_0
Phenoix12

Postby ResonKinetic » Tue Dec 13, 2016 2:00 pm

buildings are just ships that never move
NUMBERZero wrote:You would expect Syndicate to have anything less than TL32?

Ross: "I just wonder what Haxus' philosophy on open-source code is."
Ikkir: "I'm pretty sure his philosophy is 'get fucked.'"
ResonKinetic

PreviousNext

Return to Updates