Star Trek TNG Romulan ship textures [RELEASE!]

Independently developed tools for Shores of Hazeron

Star Trek TNG Romulan ship textures [RELEASE!]

Postby Leadphalanx » Thu Oct 13, 2016 1:38 pm

I was bored out of my mind a few days ago, so I've started up on another texture set. A trek set again of course, but this time based on Romulan ships. This set is also going to be twice the resolution of the default textures/my other trek set.

11/4/2016 - 'beta' release!
Download v1: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/386 ... n%20V1.rar

11/8/2016 - Roof glass version
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/386 ... 0Glass.rar

It's definitely not finished, but I've got enough done now to be useable. For now I'm using textures from my Federation set as placeholders for incomplete textures. Still need to do the bed, hatches, small hull door, ladder, stairs, med bay, and a couple other little bits.

Last edited by Leadphalanx on Tue Nov 08, 2016 2:03 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Leadphalanx

Re: Star Trek TNG Texture Set [Romulan]

Postby Trusin » Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:45 pm

I really like that but you should have gone klingon since we have a klingon fleet in the game :P ...

Haxus... I love the variety that these texture sets add to the game. would it be possible to treat these like the pictures for players to have "custom" interiors.
Trusin

Postby Jey123456 » Fri Oct 14, 2016 2:44 am

maybe not picture as this would create a lot of duplication. but maybe allow a custom textures set to be associated with ship in design.

As mentioned we already have custom picture up to 512x512 i believe, so it shouldnt be much stress on the server or client to download a set of 4-5 textures and keep it in a client side cache to avoid having to ever redownload it.
Jey123456

Postby AnrDaemon » Fri Oct 14, 2016 4:47 am

The problem is not downloading them, the problem is actually applying them. One thing you apply one custom picture, another- you apply a whole new texture atlas to the object of uncertain composition.
Yak. Yak never changes.
AnrDaemon

Postby Jey123456 » Fri Oct 14, 2016 5:16 am

AnrDaemon wrote:The problem is not downloading them, the problem is actually applying them. One thing you apply one custom picture, another- you apply a whole new texture atlas to the object of uncertain composition.

there's absolutely no complication here if you abstract the code that load up the texture in the render.
Jey123456

Postby AnrDaemon » Fri Oct 14, 2016 8:01 am

We don't know how it is set up, and the observed effects are that displaying multiple ships in the scene is a very costly operation even with a single resource pack.
Yak. Yak never changes.
AnrDaemon

Postby Jey123456 » Fri Oct 14, 2016 8:54 am

AnrDaemon wrote:We don't know how it is set up, and the observed effects are that displaying multiple ships in the scene is a very costly operation even with a single resource pack.

if you look at the actual gpu cost of that operation, youll quickly notice that its nothing. The operation cost is on the cpu pretty much entirely. if you use a tool like gpuz to check your gpu load its negligible, in my case it hang at 12% with the gpu in idle power state (clocked at about 30% of its max). A quick comparison between a scene with lots of ships and objects and a scene basically empty reveal that theres very little difference.

From the cpu point of view, setting one or the other texture. So long as the texture all use the same atlas coords there's absolutely no other changes required for it to happen. The most complicated part is handling the download / switching to the right texture when download is done etc.

Now at the end of the day i strongly doubt it would ever happen, haxus has plenty of other things to do first xD. But its definitely not a resource issue.

Now back to the topic at hand. I love the texture set, cant wait to see more of it.
Jey123456

Postby Leadphalanx » Mon Oct 17, 2016 4:29 pm

Some stuff I'm workin on today. Both of these are getting close. More work to do on the romulan LCARS (or whatever the romulans call their computer GUI) but it's getting there.

Leadphalanx

Postby Leadphalanx » Mon Oct 17, 2016 7:46 pm

I've spent entirely too long in photoshop today

Leadphalanx

Re: Star Trek TNG Romulan ship textures [RELEASE!]

Postby Leadphalanx » Fri Nov 04, 2016 4:42 pm

Release!! (an early version of it at least)

Download v1: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/386 ... n%20V1.rar
Leadphalanx

Return to Indy Tools and Mods