Not a member yet? Why not Sign up today
Create an account  

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
After just entering a system, have ship point to best planet or sun

Ok so this one is kind of cheesy but it's something I constantly do myself.

When arriving at a system either via wormhole (especially via wormhole) or warp, right before completing the order, have the ship point at either the best planet in the system or the star it self. That way, once you enter a system, your helms-person points you at the best view of the system instead of just randomly at the skybox. So you end up with the best view whenever you enter a system  Wink

[Image: ezgif-com-resize.gif]

(02-27-2021, 02:52 AM)Rockinsince87 Wrote: That way, once you enter a system, your helms-person points you at the best view of the system instead of just randomly at the skybox.

I just want to point out that it isn't random at all.

When you enter the wormhole you are eventually going in a straight line through both the source star and the destination star, and then emerging from the exit wormhole on the opposite side of the destination star.

But yeah, I guess the AI crew could point the ship at something interesting if they have no further orders after entering the system. It would in probably still look empty or just the star, since the best world might be far away or behind the star in most cases.
Hazeron Forum and Wiki Moderator
hazeron.com/wiki/User:Deantwo

(02-27-2021, 11:14 AM)Deantwo Wrote:
(02-27-2021, 02:52 AM)Rockinsince87 Wrote: That way, once you enter a system, your helms-person points you at the best view of the system instead of just randomly at the skybox.

I just want to point out that it isn't random at all.

When you enter the wormhole you are eventually going in a straight line through both the source star and the destination star, and then emerging from the exit wormhole on the opposite side of the destination star.

But yeah, I guess the AI crew could point the ship at something interesting if they have no further orders after entering the system. It would in probably still look empty or just the star, since the best world might be far away or behind the star in most cases.

Yeah I was thinking about that some more too. On large diameter systems you might not get a a really good view when using wormhole drive as you stated. There are two solutions to this that I can think of. One, place the wormholes on the edge of the system (I know that's universe restart level stuff), or just find the middle angle between the best planet and the star. 

ex: Let's say you exit the wormhole, from your position the best planet is 45 degrees from you and the star is most likely 180 degrees, have the AI fly straight away (like normal) then angle the ship at 135 degrees.

Too much hassle for a little gain. Not to mention, the "best view" not necessarily means "best planet".

[Image: ?preview=Hazeron-20121031-213832.531.jpg]
Space slalom (33 kB)

(02-28-2021, 04:39 AM)AnrDaemon Wrote: Too much hassle for a little gain. Not to mention, the "best view" not necessarily means "best planet".

[Image: ?preview=Hazeron-20121031-213832.531.jpg]
Space slalom (33 kB)

Yeah that's true. The "best view" is quite subjective. I suppose I should change the request to..."after entering system via wormhole, point ship to as many planets as possible along ecliptic plane"