Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Fix Aircraft Flat-Earther Logic
One Flat-Earther theory is that the world isn't round because aircraft don't fly straight off it when flying.

In Hazeron aircraft do fly straight off the planet rather than follow the curve of the world. I would like it if they followed the curve of the world while inside the atmosphere.
Hazeron Forum and Wiki Moderator
hazeron.com/wiki/User:Deantwo
(12-25-2018, 01:43 PM)Deantwo Wrote: One Flat-Earther theory is that the world isn't round because aircraft don't fly straight off it when flying.

In Hazeron aircraft do fly straight off the planet rather than follow the curve of the world. I would like it if they followed the curve of the world while inside the atmosphere.

It is annoying how aircraft fly on small worlds. But I don't think we should just make them track along a perfect sphere, that would probably feel weird. Maybe a key that tugs the aircraft towards the horizon to level it out would work?
Tracking to a sphere would be fine by me. I am annoyed by the jerky movement when flying around a planet outside of the atmosphere
It wouldn't feel weird.  Dean's not talking about having the craft auto-level whenever you aren't pressing a button.  He's asking for the craft to maintain its current pitch relative to the horizon.  So if you leveled out your craft, it would stay level.  If you aimed it at a five degree ascent, it would stay on that five degree ascent.  Etc.

The only part that might be a little awkward is the transition into and out of the horizon-based coordinate system. It would need to be tight enough to the planet that it doesn't capture you when you're just doing a flyby. Restricting it to atmosphere or just beyond would work for most worlds, but it would be nice to have this feature on moons as well. Maybe put the threshold 1km up.
(12-27-2018, 05:39 PM)pizzasgood Wrote: The only part that might be a little awkward is the transition into and out of the horizon-based coordinate system.  It would need to be tight enough to the planet that it doesn't capture you when you're just doing a flyby.  Restricting it to atmosphere or just beyond would work for most worlds, but it would be nice to have this feature on moons as well.  Maybe put the threshold 1km up.

Yeah, limiting it to inside the atmosphere is definitely best.
As for moons I don't know, they might be too small for it to be practical. But moons do have an "atmosphere" area, it is just empty and therefore hard to see. Limiting it to worlds that have an atmosphere doesn't seem unreasonable.
Hazeron Forum and Wiki Moderator
hazeron.com/wiki/User:Deantwo