Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.67 Average
Orders to Use Open Stargates
It seems officers cannot be ordered to use open stargates, which is surprising. It's been suggested that this is intentional as stargates are already OP, but wouldn't a better solution be to require an avatar aboard for them to use it - same as for unexplored wormholes? I, personally, would really like an order as manually piloting is tedious and time consuming. Attempting to use 'orbit at coordinate' orders is risky as the orbit can be dangerously close to the star (I've already lost a ship to this :c). I must admit there is some minor potential for abuse: it makes bertha-porting to move a fleet easier, allowing slightly larger fleets to be moved.

EDIT: to be absolutely clear, the idea is to create an order for traversing an already open wormhole created by a ringworld, treating it always as an unexplored wormhole in order to prevent abuse. Remote activation of the stargate to open a wormhole is a completely different suggestion, one that I can only see reasonably done by allowing beaming of cargo to coordinates as if someone dropped it there. That would have the added benefit of allowing more realistic colony construction (just beam down building materials instead of bothering with the trade channel or using magic airports), but would have issues with lag and inventory management. However, such a feature is completely unnecessary and so debate over it should be reserved for a future time.

EDIT2: A low-effort compromise would be to allow the hover/hover-at-coordinates order for stars. Then all one would need to do is just use the engineer station manually.
No. And ringworld should be 10 times less frequent.
[Image: unknown.png]
(04-21-2020, 10:16 AM)Xantheose Wrote: No. And ringworld should be 10 times less frequent.

Please explain why; I really don't get why people are against orders if you nerf them sensibly such as by requiring an active avatar to be onboard. Are you afraid people will use a bunch of accounts to get around the 1-active-avatar-per-account rule? I agree about the frequency tho.
Yeah, might "no" wasn't a good answer.

If you only need to be on ship to activate it, then any enemy can use it without trouble. Now you can defend the stargate controller with some turrets and mostly useless stuff since defending is a lot harder than attacking now, but at least you know that someone is trying to open a stargate and you can wait him to the controller.

Next question is probably "but if the city isn't friendly, we can't open it"
That mean you have to take or destroy a whole city to put a preon in a controller, and you can't try to drop it and fly away.

I will agree if the city is from empire/friendly, but if not, the old process is required.
[Image: unknown.png]
(04-25-2020, 01:21 PM)Xantheose Wrote: If you only need to be on ship to activate it, then any enemy can use it without trouble. Now you can defend the stargate controller with some turrets and mostly useless stuff since defending is a lot harder than attacking now, but at least you know that someone is trying to open a stargate and you can wait him to the controller.

I am not sure the two of you are talking about the same thing. The opening post clearly state that he just wants the crew to be able to use the star gate wormhole. It mentioned nothing about allowing a ship to open the star gate.

Please re-read the opening post.
Hazeron Forum and Wiki Moderator
hazeron.com/wiki/User:Deantwo
Edited OP to clarify. Thank you Xantheose for explaining your position, and Deantwo for pointing out that we're discussing different things.