Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Join Existing Empire: Random Invite Password
Joining existing empires has always been a tricky subject. On one hand it helps new players to play with their friends a lot, but allowing anyone to join an empire will always spell desaster.

After "open immigration" was removed, there was no longer any need for a player to be presented with a list of all empires anymore. There after it was just cleaning up the avatar creation process that saw the joining existing empires fully removed. It removed the weird empire passwords and other weird "join emperor with no cities" logic.

Now I don't see an issue with allowing joining existing empires, as long as it is implemented in a simple way that doesn't overcomplicate avatar creation process or empire controls.

One way to do it would be to copy what a few other games seem to use nowadays:

The empire has to have an empire capital, that seems like a simple requirement that doesn't take more than a little while to build. Then in their empire policies, they enable new avatar joining and get a randomly generated "password". This could be a simple UUID or similar. The emperor then give this "password" to the player that they want to join, upon avatar creation you simply have an optional "invite password" field that a player can add this "password" to. If a player creates an avatar with a valid "invite password" entered, the new avatar will spawn at the capital city of the empire who matches that "password". The emperor can then disable the option, or generate a new random "password".

This means that the player doesn't need a list of all empires while they are creating an avatar. On the avatar creation UI it is just a simple input field that can be left blank. The emperor does not have to choose a password themselves that can be guessed or accidentally left blank. This is something players might understand how works from having seen it in other games.
Hazeron Forum and Wiki Moderator
hazeron.com/wiki/User:Deantwo
And when joining an empire, select that empire's species by default and allow the option to have your own species. Similar to how it is now, but it's not clear how to start as a certain empire's species right from the get go if the person doesn't know better. Having the Empire joining system the way it is, also makes it harder for someone to join an empire while someone with invite access is offline.
I hear the call from 2011?
I lost my starting empire because the city decayed while he was limboed and I did not have an alt in the city yet. So yeah, a password to join an empire would be great.