Not a member yet? Why not Sign up today
Create an account  

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Civilian Buildings Block Weapon's Fire

Perhaps civilian platforms should provide obstruction until all buildings built on them have been destroyed. Otherwise you get the odd situation of falling through a platform which somehow still supports buildings.

In that case, incoming damage to the platform at 0 health should be distributed among the buildings still built on it.

(01-14-2020, 01:12 PM)Vectorus Wrote: Perhaps civilian platforms should provide obstruction until all buildings built on them have been destroyed. Otherwise you get the odd situation of falling through a platform which somehow still supports buildings.

Not a bad idea. Or simply make platforms and biodomes an exception, so while under construction they still block movement.

(01-14-2020, 01:12 PM)Vectorus Wrote: In that case, incoming damage to the platform at 0 health should be distributed among the buildings still built on it.

Nah, just blow up the whole platform and everything on it like currently. The whole idea of "redirecting" damage seems like a really really bad idea.

I think platforms and biodomes are only made into military buildings when a military building is inside them. This might be an issue if there is a civilian areal platform above a military building.
Hazeron Forum and Wiki Moderator
hazeron.com/wiki/User:Deantwo

People will always try to keep platforms as low-volume as possible because they don't do anything with the volume except exist. Allowing all the hp of the buildings on them to be completely bypassed by destroying the platform would make platforms in general a very poor strategic choice - no one would want them.

I'm against broader redirecting but in the platform case I think it's the best compromise.

(01-14-2020, 04:33 PM)Vectorus Wrote: People will always try to keep platforms as low-volume as possible because they don't do anything with the volume except exist. Allowing all the hp of the buildings on them to be completely bypassed by destroying the platform would make platforms in general a very poor strategic choice - no one would want them.

This problem would be eliminated if something akin to my suggestion about having platforms/infrastructure have a free amount, like 4 or 6 free ones or such, similar to streetlights was implemented. The volume doesn't get 'wasted' for these structures, and it makes using these structures on small worlds actually feasible.

Yeah, that's a very good idea. Max world volume should really be functional volume only, now that building numbers effectively limit server load/general craziness.

(01-16-2020, 03:36 AM)martianant Wrote:
(01-14-2020, 04:33 PM)Vectorus Wrote: People will always try to keep platforms as low-volume as possible because they don't do anything with the volume except exist. Allowing all the hp of the buildings on them to be completely bypassed by destroying the platform would make platforms in general a very poor strategic choice - no one would want them.

This problem would be eliminated if something akin to my suggestion about having platforms/infrastructure have a free amount, like 4 or 6 free ones or such, similar to streetlights was implemented. The volume doesn't get 'wasted' for these structures, and it makes using these structures on small worlds actually feasible.

(01-16-2020, 10:51 AM)Vectorus Wrote: Yeah, that's a very good idea. Max world volume should really be functional volume only, now that building numbers effectively limit server load/general craziness.

Agreed, but it is off-topic for this bug report. Go to an idea thread instead, or else this discussion will just vanish and never be found again.

It's on-topic, for now anyway, because how civilian platform volume is dealt with will affect whether it's a good idea for 0 health civilian platforms to destroy all buildings built on them.

If platform volume counts towards the limit, they will always be as low-health as possible, becoming a very poor and indefensible strategic option. In that case, all buildings built on top of them would need to be destroyed before they are allowed to become non-collision. Incoming damage would have to be redistributed, because otherwise they might block it.

If you can build 4 or 5 free platforms with high volume, it would be better to be able to destroy them directly, taking all buildings on top with them.

Yeah the Weltreich empire has apparently been abusing this exploit for a while.
I just found two worlds with bases protected by under-construction aerial platforms, preventing all attacks from the air because they are civilian buildings while there is no military building ON THEM.

Transporter bombs are an effective, if slow method of dealing with them, at least until this is fixed.

(01-19-2020, 01:25 AM)jakbruce2012 Wrote: Transporter bombs are an effective, if slow method of dealing with them, at least until this is fixed.

My ship is so stupid big that I just fly it down so the cannon is clipping through the platform and projectiles appear right where the military building is. It is a risky and stupid way of doing it maybe, but I sm too lazy to leave my ship.

One issue is, since the systems in question don't have the materials to actually build the platforms, they remain "under construction" and thereby almost invisible.