Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
2019-12-11 Lag Spikes
Lag Spikes
Servers are getting hit by crippling lag spikes that last for minutes at a time.

Found/fixed a problem when stacking items that have DNA. They weren't stacking, resulting in inventories at meat packing plants with tens of thousands of discrete items. This was causing a huge lag spike during a periodic maintenance function.

How do I know the current status of my cities that I have lost?

Cities founded by an avatar are now listed on their individual avatar web pages.

Empire Standings
The empire standings page shows a big confusing table of numbers.

Reworked the empire standings page to simplify the information and freshen the appearance.

Made links of avatar names.
(12-11-2019, 09:22 PM)Haxus Wrote: Empire Standings
The empire standings page shows a big confusing table of numbers.

Reworked the empire standings page to simplify the information and freshen the appearance.

I'm gonna be honest, I don't like the change here. I think it was pretty neat to see galaxies and population levels. Cutting world count I guess is fine, but either way it gave a nice idea how how an empire is structured. Are they very spread out with a lower population but a lot of systems? Or maybe they are very tall, lots of people and fewer systems. Does this empire have a presence in multiple galaxies? You could figure this out before. Now you really have no idea.

Overall I think the standings should somehow show multiple things, similar to how other games rank empires on "Economy, Military, Technology, Diplomacy" Obviously some of that doesn't quite work for how Hazeron is set up what with the economy currently being bare bones and money being pointless and technology not being a useful metric, but the idea of having multiple categories is good in general. It allows you to really get an idea of how an empire is doing beyond "total system count." It's hard to quantify "Military Power" given ship designs work, but maybe even just 'ships with officers' or something could be a start as a proxy for how big an empire's fleet is. Once the economy is more fleshed out and if money gains purpose, then maybe that could be a metric of an empire's success as well! Diplomacy sorta already exists with grouping allies and vassals, although I think the diplomacy system is a little bare bones a bit as well. I think it's weird how one ally is always 'dominant' over another, there is no mutual grouping.

Linking to avatars is a real time saver though. Also it's crazy how quickly the number of empires dropped, there really was a lot of abandoned stuff lying around.
Some might feel it gave away too much information about their empire.

It used to list every city, solar system, sector, ship and avatar. The amount of information has steadily dwindled, in favor of secrecy and simplicity.

All servers are showing green on my server monitor. I haven't seen that in a long time. I imagine the fans aren't screaming quite as loudly today; thought I could hear them from here before.
(12-11-2019, 11:22 PM)Haxus Wrote: Some might feel it gave away too much information about their empire.

It used to list every city, solar system, sector, ship and avatar. The amount of information has steadily dwindled, in favor of secrecy and simplicity.

All servers are showing green on my server monitor. I haven't seen that in a long time. I imagine the fans aren't screaming quite as loudly today; thought I could hear them from here before.

Perhaps we need a way to gather intel on empires then? Like obviously a full like espionage system wouldn't work, but some way to find out more about other empires since we decided we want this all to be 'secret'.

EDIT:
http://hazeron.com/EmpireStandings2015/pFMXFM.html
I feel like THIS is "too much information" to give away. Every single city founded by an avatar? And the number of galaxies an empire was is "more" information than this?
OK, had me worried a second, that galaxy viewer was back.
Thank you for not listing city location under avatar's page.
Quote:I feel like THIS is "too much information" to give away.
I had misgivings after adding that. I'll remove it.