Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Teleport Invitation
(12-05-2019, 11:54 PM)Ikkir Isth Wrote: Hard solution would be to limit sea chests to your current ship (and thru ship recovery system / a recovery system on ship destruction) and also make berth-a-porting restrict all items (or most items).  Hardest system would require target to build a cloning tube / hospital thing and strip everything, and use resources to create a clone (possibly even character DNA of the same type). 

i LOVE this. there was a mod for minecraft where you could clone yourself into these clone vats and, if you died, you would wake up as one of your clones. or, you could put your current body in a clone vat to store it (with all its items in-tact) and start playing from a clone in another vat on purpose, essentially teleporting you without your items.

itd give a pretty damn good reason to protect your dna... someone could clone you and if you ran out of other clones you might accidentally respawn to their jailed clone of you! or a friend could clone you to let you come to them. its a really good use for your dna which is kinda pointless right now!
It was good to hear your thoughts on this. I'll leave it the way it is.
(12-06-2019, 02:35 PM)Minty Wrote:
(12-05-2019, 11:54 PM)Ikkir Isth Wrote: Hard solution would be to limit sea chests to your current ship (and thru ship recovery system / a recovery system on ship destruction) and also make berth-a-porting restrict all items (or most items).  Hardest system would require target to build a cloning tube / hospital thing and strip everything, and use resources to create a clone (possibly even character DNA of the same type). 

i LOVE this. there was a mod for minecraft where you could clone yourself into these clone vats and, if you died, you would wake up as one of your clones. or, you could put your current body in a clone vat to store it (with all its items in-tact) and start playing from a clone in another vat on purpose, essentially teleporting you without your items.

itd give a pretty damn good reason to protect your dna... someone could clone you and if you ran out of other clones you might accidentally respawn to their jailed clone of you! or a friend could clone you to let you come to them. its a really good use for your dna which is kinda pointless right now!

If we want to go the full Altered Carbon route, yeah.
But it all depends on how realistic Hazeron should be. Right now the avatar respawning is kinda handwavy and gamey. I wrote the wiki in a way that makes this sound like a special ability bestowed to avatars as super beings. But it doesn't explain why your equipment is teleported with you when you respawn.

Either way, changing how respawning and teleporting/berth-a-porting works feels like it will change something fundamental in the game's lore. Would be nice if the reason behind avatars being able to respawn after death made sense and was consistent with teleporting/berth-a-porting abilities.

Issues with teleporting with sea chest could just be something along the lines have have to ship the sea chest. For example if you change your berth to a ship on the other side of the galaxy, you wouldn't have access to your sea chest for the time it would take for a broker shipment to reach your new location.

It gets a little more complicated when we think of your sea chest being accessible in both your berth and your home building, but same can be done with changing home building. Then handwave the link between ship and home building, since it is rare that an instant link between those two locations would matter as long as you have to wait for the new link endpoint to be moved.

On the topic of broker shipments, Haxus did mention wanting to make a "shipment request" kinda thing. If we can in the future simply send items/patents/whatever via a broker shipment based galactic market place, then it wouldn't be far fetched to allow ships to remotely buy from cities or avatars trading between each other as long as the transfers would have to travel at broker shipment speeds.
Hazeron Forum and Wiki Moderator
hazeron.com/wiki/User:Deantwo
(12-06-2019, 02:50 PM)Haxus Wrote: It was good to hear your thoughts on this. I'll leave it the way it is.

[Image: giphy.gif]
Just no. Not unless you bring back the ability for players to start in a group on the same world.

Ah nevermind, now I see the above post.
Although it's now settled, for the record I think at this stage of the game, encouraging actual multiplayer interaction by any means possible, including slightly cheesy means, is more important than most other considerations. Except where "encouraging" means railroading by creating unnecessary limitations. 

Teleporting really changed my experience of Hazeron. I have had more fun with more interesting people in more interesting places than ever before. Dropping it would require a compelling reason and a compelling replacement system, neither of which I think we really have just now.
(12-06-2019, 03:29 PM)jakbruce2012 Wrote: Just no.  Not unless you bring back the ability for players to start in a group on the same world.

That is why Haxus mentioned allowing teleport offers to members of the same empire, since you can always invite players to join your empire. It would however require one player in the group to craft a flag ASAP before being able to teleport the others to their location.

(12-06-2019, 03:57 PM)Vectorus Wrote: Although it's now settled, for the record I think at this stage of the game, encouraging actual multiplayer interaction by any means possible, including slightly cheesy means, is more important than most other considerations. Except where "encouraging" means railroading by creating unnecessary limitations. 

Teleporting really changed my experience of Hazeron. I have had more fun with more interesting people in more interesting places than ever before. Dropping it would require a compelling reason and a compelling replacement system, neither of which I think we really have just now.

Agreed. It serves as a good way of visiting other players currently.
But I do also agree with Haxus that it could be made less useful. For example by leaving your inventory behind or something, but that would have to include doing the same to berth-a-porting and death, or it can be circumvented.

The current teleport offer mechanic isn't without issues though. For example right now you can not cancel a teleport invite, once someone has gotten your teleport invite they can keep using it as long as they have the chat message in their communication window.
Hazeron Forum and Wiki Moderator
hazeron.com/wiki/User:Deantwo
Personally I think the ability to start as part of an existing empire should be brought back in some way.
Teleporting could require money based off of distance and weight. I don't have any suggestions for prices, but it would make sense.
Regarding berth-a-porting, you could just restrict it so you can only accept a berth if you are in the same system as the vessel.