Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
2019-12-03 Abandonment and Decay
(12-03-2019, 04:33 PM)Haxus Wrote: The governance window isn't really appropriate if you want every avatar to be able to designate their "home" systems.

The starmap could be helpful, though.

Starmap works, would be easier to designate by system then anyway.
Would also allow protection of systems that may or may not have buildings yet, for planning future builds.
I agree with the 60 systems by account and the need to have more time before the abandonment (if it's relevant anymore after this idea).
Starmap would need new functionality, wouldn't it? Actually identifying your own systems would be a slightly laborious SEARCH, EMPIRE NAME, CLEAR MAP WHEN SEARCHING, CYCLE THROUGH GALAXIES AND REPEAT. My own vote is for governance window.

The three day thing only applies to physically visited systems, not the 60-system basic allowance, yes? Still, I don't see that making it a week instead would make all that much difference. The main problem here is not sporadically visited cities causing load, but DEAD and functionally abandoned ones, to which a few days makes little difference.
(12-03-2019, 04:54 PM)Vectorus Wrote: The three day thing only applies to physically visited systems, not the 60-system basic allowance, yes? Still, I don't see that making it a week instead would make all that much difference. The main problem here is not sporadically visited cities causing load, but DEAD and functionally abandoned ones, to which a few days makes little difference.

...good point. there's really no reason to make it easier to keep thousands of extra systems alive, right?

i think we should keep the 3 days for cities made outside of your designated ones, BUT there should be a 15-day grace period for designated systems when your membership runs out just so your whole empire wont wont disappear almost overnight because you forgot to pay for a week
(12-03-2019, 04:54 PM)Vectorus Wrote: Starmap would need new functionality, wouldn't it? Actually identifying your own systems would be a slightly laborious SEARCH, EMPIRE NAME, CLEAR MAP WHEN SEARCHING, CYCLE THROUGH GALAXIES AND REPEAT. My own vote is for governance window.

The three day thing only applies to physically visited systems, not the 60-system basic allowance, yes? Still, I don't see that making it a week instead would make all that much difference. The main problem here is not sporadically visited cities causing load, but DEAD and functionally abandoned ones, to which a few days makes little difference.

Yeah, I think the morale penalty after 3 days isn't bad, and the penalty gets worse if you're away for longer, so being offline for 5 days shouldn't cause much decay if what Haxus said in the original post is anything to go by
What even
(12-03-2019, 03:59 PM)Haxus Wrote: A Trade transaction should be created to exchange this for that. As long as the destination has a corresponding trade transaction, the brokers can conduct the trade when they have accumulated the materials.

This would enable brokers to conduct inter empire trade. This might help the smaller empires to acquire the materials they need/want.

I am assuming you mean something like the "shipment requests" we talked about some time back?
See: (Idea thread) Broker Shipment Requests

That would indeed be very useful. Even more so if we can send requests to other empires. Or have list of things that empires are requesting.
Hazeron Forum and Wiki Moderator
hazeron.com/wiki/User:Deantwo
A trade request page, which then allows empires within the chosen range to view and respond to the request without necessarily being privy to all your broker locations (i.e. not a friend or ally), would be a very welcome addition to intergalactic trade.

Perhaps allow barter or cronodollar payments to be attached to the request. E.g., a trade is offered to receive 10 warp modules per day in exchange for 10,000 adamantite and 40,000 cronodollars per day, duration 6 months. The offer is viewed and a counter-offer of 8,000 adamantite, 30,000 cronodollars is made. Accepted and the route begins for the specified period.

This would effectively create a Universal Commodities Market at one stroke and perhaps add a lot of dynamism to the game economy. Perhaps the screen should allow you to respond partially to an offer for sale, e.g. purchase 5 warp modules per day for 5,000 adamantite and 20,000 cronodollars, for only 3 months, automatically. And indeed attempt to automatically combine best existing offers to meet your query: you want 30 warp modules per day: Empire A is offering a max of 10, Empire B is offering up to 25 and the trade screen creates a transaction for 30 using the cheapest first. Sellers should be able to specify a minimum order when creating the offer.
(12-03-2019, 02:41 PM)Haxus Wrote: Abandonment and Decay
Some kind of decay is needed for the new style buildings. The data load keeps getting bigger and heavier, with no relief. Also, it is possible for one person to maintain a ridiculously large empire, something that was expicitly not supposed to happen. If possible, the mechanism for decay should not penalize players who cannot log in for a while. Something must be done; the smaller servers are getting overwhelmed.

Buildings that are not incorporated into a city are subject to abandonment and decay, the same as buildings in cities or bases. There are no reports to show the abandonment status of unincorporated buildings.

You really seem to hate unincorporated buildings.
It would still be easier to simply treat worlds as cities, and have capitol buildings take over that role once one exist.

In before you say that you like having multiple cities on one world. Why do you think they have yo be separate "cities" to accomplish that? Two blobs of buildings with each their own custom named airport can already act as a city.

(12-03-2019, 02:41 PM)Haxus Wrote: Cosmopolitan
Buildings get a morale penalty after no avatar on line has visited their system in a while. Shouldn't they be happy when an avatar comes to visit?

Cities get a morale boost when their system is visited by an avatar on line. For one day after the visit, a '+1 Cosmopolitan' morale boost will appear on the report.

So when my abandoned city detects an enemy empire's warship in their system, they get a morale bonus? Cool, but I would have to charge them with treason for throwing the enemy a parade.
Hazeron Forum and Wiki Moderator
hazeron.com/wiki/User:Deantwo
(12-03-2019, 08:01 PM)Deantwo Wrote:
(12-03-2019, 02:41 PM)Haxus Wrote: Cosmopolitan
Buildings get a morale penalty after no avatar on line has visited their system in a while. Shouldn't they be happy when an avatar comes to visit?

Cities get a morale boost when their system is visited by an avatar on line. For one day after the visit, a '+1 Cosmopolitan' morale boost will appear on the report.

So when my abandoned city detects an enemy empire's warship in their system, they get a morale bonus? Cool, but I would have to charge them with treason for throwing the enemy a parade.

(Derp, ignore previous deleted post, I'm apparently bad at posting on the forum) 

IIRC, it was like this with the old abandonment system too, I don't think it's bad that other empires can stop your empire from decaying imo
What even
Sorry but the limit really must be per avatar. The threads of the game universe really don't know anything about login accounts. It is not data that is readily available. There are other servers involved, a different SQL database. Limiting this by login account would bring pain, much pain. I won't do it.