Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Galaxy Ideas
There's been a lot of talk about how the next galaxy should be shaped...

From one super massive galaxy to a handful of medium sized ones. Though most all agree that the number of galaxies should be reduced and their size should have an actual limit instead of just floating off into infinity.

Why not have say have about five or six medium sized galaxies that are not infinite that occupy the same core galactic grid map?

In essence all galaxies are on the same map and have set sizes where their stars can generate. Past those regions there is just galactic void space where stars are super rare; that can be flown though allowing players to warp travel or even deadhead to other galaxies... providing they have the supply/fuel to make the extremely long trip.

The edges of this pan-galactic map loop around so there is no hard end instead if you go off the side you just end up on the other side of the universe. Or you could just have the player be killed by dark matter.

This can allow players if they choose to hide or make use of the void space to house secret bases and such. Also if say a powerful empire manages to lock down major wormhole travel between galaxies other players will always have the option to take the long rout there.

This will make the galaxy in my mind feel more unified and like a real place and allow even more paths and strats to unfold.

If anyone has their own thoughts or comments on this subject feel free to talk about it in this thread also.
My friend made the point that having all people spawn in one galaxy, and have a chokepoint to the other galaxies really limits things when someone controls the IG wormholes.
My friend doesn't play Shores of Hazeron, but his idea was have more than one spawn galaxy(per zone, so PVP zone should have 2-3 maybe) to make it harder to control 16/17 galaxies without contest.
[Image: fe797a1694929efd30d309ea6d5192e8.png]
The distance to Andromeda is only ~500 times greater than the distance to Alpha Centauri. Keeping that ratio between these galaxies doesn't seem impossible.

However this would be a lot of wasted space. And coordinate systems would be totally out of whack if there is no clear center.

Not to mention any base in those intergalactic voids would be impossible to find. Which would get us right back to the issue we already have now.

While an interesting idea, I would say it will cause more issues than it solves.

(11-15-2019, 11:46 AM)5crownik007 Wrote: My friend made the point that having all people spawn in one galaxy, and have a chokepoint to the other galaxies really limits things when someone controls the IG wormholes.
My friend doesn't play Shores of Hazeron, but his idea was have more than one spawn galaxy(per zone, so PVP zone should have 2-3 maybe) to make it harder to control 16/17 galaxies without contest.

Allowing us to choose other galaxies to spawn in would be interesting. As long as we have star gates it won't be hard to travel between the galaxies.

Only issue I see is that it might make it hard to implement any risk/reward for the different galaxies in the future if people can spawn there. Otherwise I like the idea.
Hazeron Forum and Wiki Moderator
hazeron.com/wiki/User:Deantwo
I disagree. Having some sort of chokepoint in the game makes it much more interesting. There's nothing else of significance, really, so I would vote to keep spawning limited to one and have people fight over the center.
Sumo in space, but the ring is a black hole.
(11-17-2019, 03:52 AM)Mr. Mortius Wrote: I disagree. Having some sort of chokepoint in the game makes it much more interesting. There's nothing else of significance, really, so I would vote to keep spawning limited to one and have people fight over the center.

Choke points can make for interesting games yeah, but not when the other side of the choke point is worthless.

I kinda agree more with the idea of just limiting it to only the SoH galaxy until we know how many players will even be in the game. Then add more galaxies if needed and allow limited spawning into those galaxies. Or actually implement a reason to go to other galaxies.
Hazeron Forum and Wiki Moderator
hazeron.com/wiki/User:Deantwo
Having ONE chokepoint is not really interesting for a sandbox game.
Same can be said about spawn mechanics. Being able to just spawn anywhere is actually limiting gameplay experience, IMO.
(11-17-2019, 02:32 PM)AnrDaemon Wrote: Having ONE chokepoint is not really interesting for a sandbox game.
Same can be said about spawn mechanics. Being able to just spawn anywhere is actually limiting gameplay experience, IMO.

Just wanted to say I agree with this! Although I personally used the "Remote" spawn option, it resulted in a lot less empire interaction than the old "Eastern Frontier" and "Eastern Cluster" spawn options and ultimately resulted in the galaxy feeling way more dead, and being far more boring for me
What even