Not a member yet? Why not Sign up today
Create an account  

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
2019-11-26 Brains, Server Deadlocks

Correct, creatures with cartilage instead of bone should not drop bones.

It would make sense to have the meat processing plant make organs. I just haven't added organs as a commodity. I'll probably pick one, like the heart, or maybe all three depicted by the body stats bars, heart, lungs, and stomach.

Then those organs might possibly be individually upgraded, or their equivalent. E.g. gills vs lungs.

Wink 
(11-26-2019, 08:15 PM)Haxus Wrote: Correct, creatures with cartilage instead of bone should not drop bones.

It would make sense to have the meat processing plant make organs. I just haven't added organs as a commodity. I'll probably pick one, like the heart.

maybe heart color could be based on blood too ?

of course, if you add hearts, you HAVE to add the ability to have two, in proper timelord fashion

and what about luxury organ foods, like foie gras, liver paté, and black pudding? :)

(11-26-2019, 08:15 PM)Haxus Wrote: Then those organs might possibly be individually upgraded, or their equivalent. E.g. gills vs lungs.

oh, very interesting! improved lungs/gills could add more breathing time in places you cant breathe, upgraded heart could give you more hp without having to make your character bigger... stomach could make food more efficient (and maybe upgrading a stomach would be easier if youre more specialized into one type of food source rather than being omnivorous?)

you could even extend that to other organs - improved eyes for a zoom function or night vision, improved hands for stronger claw attacks, improved reproductive organs to make your eggs stronger or your 'inject eggs into prey' more likely to succeed... stronger mouth for better bite... ect ect

(11-26-2019, 05:28 PM)Haxus Wrote:
  • Wormhole P, 1day

Please just remove the Wormhole P FTL Drive. It is needlessly confusing and useless.
See: (Suggestion thread) Replace/Remove Wormhole P FTL Drive

(11-26-2019, 05:59 PM)Haxus Wrote: Since it now takes nearly a year to develop warp 9, the patents for it become much more valuable, especially high Q patents.

Could be interesting indeed. But it would suck for a new player when their warp9 patent fails because the quality wasn't high enough to succeed the invention failure chance. Might want to make this more clear, such as showing a percentage change of success on the process.
Hazeron Forum and Wiki Moderator
hazeron.com/wiki/User:Deantwo

Agree with removing the extra wormhole drives, I'd far rather patent research for these to be:
Wormhole: Positive and Negative
Miniaturized Wormhole: P/N Wormhole drives for vehicles
Enhanced Wormhole: Wormholes usable from the ringworld, and if implemented later, jumping between player made jump station wormholes (and be part of a patent process for making these stations)
Miniaturized Enhanced Wormhole: ditto above but for vehicles

And realistically for patent research: you just run 100 of them at once.... surely one of them will make it... especially since currency is not a problem right now, with no real economy || source / sink system balanced.

And good job on making animal quality be per animal instead of the region they are farmed in... would ideally like to find animals with good items, raise them with the proper environment and good food to increase them further, hybridize them with other animals for special qualities... etc.

Quote:remove the Wormhole P FTL Drive. It is needlessly confusing and useless
That is why the time to develop wormhole drives is relatively short. The P drive ships aren't the greatest.

The P drive isn't useless; its just that the PN drive is much better. The PN drive is technologically superior to the P drive; it doesn't just go faster. The same can be said of the PNN drive; it is technologically superior, not just smaller/faster/more efficient. These are real tangible capability improvements that the player can develop and appreciate, not just Plus A Bigger Number.

This is a game that simulates technological progression. The player should start with subpar technology. It's one of the things that drives them onward. In fact, the player starts with practically nothing at all.

Should I get rid of melee and gunpowder based weapons? Doesn't everybody just want a laser rifle? Why bother with all that silly stuff in between?

As far as other advancements to the wormhole drive, I have several on my list awaiting implementation. There's a lot of other things ahead of that, though. Current wormhole capability is adequate.

(11-26-2019, 05:59 PM)Haxus Wrote: Before giving your patents away to newbies willy nilly, consider giving/selling them the modules instead. Then they can make a few ships but they can't make the modules.

Also consider making it harder to simply steal these now valuable patents.
See: (Suggestion thread) Burn Patents On Capture

(11-26-2019, 10:44 PM)Haxus Wrote:
That is why the time to develop wormhole drives is relatively short. The P drive ships aren't the greatest.

The P drive isn't useless; its just that the PN drive is much better. The PN drive is technologically superior to the P drive; it doesn't just go faster. The same can be said of the PNN drive; it is technologically superior, not just smaller/faster/more efficient.

In that case simply order it differently so the P drive isn't the default one selected when making a new spacecraft design. Too often has a new player finally designed their first spacecraft blueprint, build their ship and started exploring, only to notice they can't go back home without deadheading because the designer defaulted to a wormhole FTL drive module that is purposefully bad.

It also totally broke all old spacecraft blueprints when the P drive was introduced. As all existing spacecraft suddenly had a P drive in the blueprint rather than a normal PN or PNN drive. This might not be an issue anymore, but I still have old blueprints burned to disks that I have to manually upgrade after manufacturing. Something that I always forget to do by the way.
Hazeron Forum and Wiki Moderator
hazeron.com/wiki/User:Deantwo

(11-26-2019, 10:44 PM)Haxus Wrote: This is a game that simulates technological progression. The player should start with subpar technology. It's one of the things that drives them onward. In fact, the player starts with practically nothing at all.

Should I get rid of melee and gunpowder based weapons? Doesn't everybody just want a laser rifle? Why bother with all that silly stuff in between?

our community is really quick to forget just how much messing around new players tend to do, and how long you can spend pre-wormhole and pre-warp just... figuring things out and messing with all the items. that's literally like half the game. i played hazeron for dozens of hours back in, like, 2011 when it was harder to find information on how to play, and i don't think i ever got above maybe TL 5 or so, and before 2017, i'd never even made it to another solar system. the fact that you can accidentally strand your ship in another system by making a ship with just the Wormhole P drive is a part of the game's charm!

i fully believe that if the playerbase hadn't become smaller, thus allowing me to join weltreich and foxtail and learn from their leaders what the endgame is like, i wouldn't have ever figured out half the shit in hazeron

this is ALSO why i think it should be harder to share patents, though. you can skip a HUGE part of the trial and error by having an advanced empire dump their patents to you and then the game is a breeze.

Later...

Server Deadlock
Server deadlocked after the restart.

Traced and fixed the problem to some code that was applying damage to a unit. This necessitated a server restart. It does not affect the client program.

It's been a great day for catching deadlocks. I'm really pushing to get the servers to run through the Thanksgiving holiday break without problems.

If you know how to make a server deadlock, please do it now.

(11-26-2019, 10:44 PM)Haxus Wrote:

The P drive isn't useless; its just that the PN drive is much better. The PN drive is technologically superior to the P drive; it doesn't just go faster. The same can be said of the PNN drive; it is technologically superior, not just smaller/faster/more efficient. These are real tangible capability improvements that the player can develop and appreciate, not just Plus A Bigger Number.

This is a game that simulates technological progression. The player should start with subpar technology. It's one of the things that drives them onward. In fact, the player starts with practically nothing at all.

As far as other advancements to the wormhole drive, I have several on my list awaiting implementation. There's a lot of other things ahead of that, though. Current wormhole capability is adequate.

Gunpowder / explosive / kinetic weaponry can reasonably be their own things endgame though: they do different damage types, have a much different creation method, etc.

What reason does a person have to patent anything higher than a Q1 'P' drive? Does it improve the game? Is it fun? Does it effect ship design any way?

Expanding on my previous suggestion, the P/N drive could have weight factor of 1.0, the P/N+ drive could have weight factor of 1.25, without being overly confusing. Or, bigger idea: just have a P+ Drive, a N- drive, and a N0 drive, and slot them all into the ship independantly, then you simply start research with P+, N-, and N0, and add the modules in, and then you can balance them seperately, and let players choose what they need to add (necessary for multiple FTL drives)

(11-27-2019, 12:23 AM)Ikkir Isth Wrote: Or, bigger idea: just have a P+ Drive, a N- drive, and a N0 drive, and slot them all into the ship independantly, then you simply start research with P+, N-, and N0, and add the modules in, and then you can balance them seperately, and let players choose what they need to add (necessary for multiple FTL drives)

This actually sounds really cool, being able to individually research each WH FTL type and slotting them in as needed! Would help with accidentally selecting and activating the neutral drive at least
What even