Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Universe Restart?
I'm speaking to the things that allow for someone Like Mr. Mortius to quickly max out their empire. Fixing these things is not a 100% necessity prior to a restart, but I'm seeking to answer Haxus's question.

I've discussed this in detail with you before Dean. When I say infinite resources, I don't mean that you can pull an infinite amount from the ground. That's fine and dandy. The problem is that you can with minimal effort pull effectively infinite amounts in very short periods of time. This is due in part to the fact that you can easily plop a 1024+ job building onto a single resource node. Similarly, the money economy serves as a way to slow things down and encourage diplomacy other than nuking everything from orbit in the form of interesting trade. The tech progression is a similar issue, with the ability to rapidly and easily tech up, the only difference between a low tech empire and a high tech empire is how much they're exploiting the tech system.
Since I've took a lengthy vacation after all my ships suddenly exploded in one night, I can't really say I have a list of priority things before universe reset.
(11-09-2019, 01:18 AM)Haxus Wrote: Does anyone have any strong opposition to restarting?

What things do you think must be fixed at the next restart? I don't mean every bug you know about. I mean what must be fixed before a restart.

Are there any exploits that will allow someone to max out their empire in the first week, like last time?

With this heads up, it would be a good idea for everyone to store their building and spacecraft designs in local .SoH files. You should already be doing this.

I am a fan of a restart personally, good to purge all of the old items/code that are sticking around.

I would love to see the design library get a few badly needed quality of life features. The ability to publish/unpublish/delete multiple designs is important, especially once the universe restarts to save 5 hours of publishing a bunch of designs. When I had to update buildings, it would take me many many hours of frustration for just ~60 buildings because of how many steps I had to go through, and how often it would not fully finish. I think it should be doable because publish/unpublish/delete shouldn't be a large data transfer to the server, it's not like when you are uploading designs into the online designer.

Some things I think would be nice to have before a restart would be a better technology system simply for the sake of not having to worry how to balance how it may impact existing empires. It might make it simpler and cause less "outrage" as no one stands to lose any progress. It would also tackle the "exploits to max out their empire in the first week" as right now all it takes is finding high quality materials, which really doesn't take long. A determined player like Mr. Mortius can very easily colonize and locate high quality materials in a week or so, and start cranking out the max volume super death ships as there is no real progression mechanics currently.

Overall I think the game needs some more depth mechanics wise, as it stands there isn't a ton to do in game, but I don't think fleshing gameplay out needs to happen prior to a restart. Maybe just prior to steam release.
(11-10-2019, 06:06 AM)jakbruce2012 Wrote: However a tech tree graphic is needed, perhaps spread over a few pages.

A tech tree would be very helpful
(11-10-2019, 02:23 PM)Cousarr Wrote: When I say infinite resources, I don't mean that you can pull an infinite amount from the ground. That's fine and dandy. The problem is that you can with minimal effort pull effectively infinite amounts in very short periods of time. This is due in part to the fact that you can easily plop a 1024+ job building onto a single resource node.

Yeah I mentioned that all the way back when the new-style buildings were implemented. It would be nice if the number of jobs was limited by the number of rocks on the ground under the harvesting building. It would mean that mines would have to be horizontally bigger to cover more ground, rather than tall tower.

(11-10-2019, 02:23 PM)Cousarr Wrote: The tech progression is a similar issue, with the ability to rapidly and easily tech up, the only difference between a low tech empire and a high tech empire is how much they're exploiting the tech system.

We do need some kinda of specializing, possibly a per solar system upgrade or something to make it do something special without weird limits. Either some kind of tech points, or special materials.
Those would be worth trading if there are enough of them and they aren't too easy to mass produce all of.
Hazeron Forum and Wiki Moderator
hazeron.com/wiki/User:Deantwo
Another suggestion being talked about on the Discord.

Have galaxies actually have end points instead of going onto infinity.

Probably reduce the number of galaxies. Some talk about having one super massive galaxy and smaller surrounding ones or something of the like.

Basically a way to keep players form hiding thousands of sectors out in the fringes of the galaxy and also keeping the player base at least somewhat closer together. This topic probably deserves it's own forum post.
(11-12-2019, 09:29 AM)Phenoix12 Wrote: Another suggestion being talked about on the Discord.

Have galaxies actually have end points instead of going onto infinity.

Probably reduce the number of galaxies. Some talk about having one super massive galaxy and smaller surrounding ones or something of the like.

Basically a way to keep players form hiding thousands of sectors out in the fringes of the galaxy and also keeping the player base at least somewhat closer together. This topic probably deserves it's own forum post.

I think it's important to be able to move around infinitely but for the sake of the game merely the ability to have habitable systems or systems at all after a certain point should be removed. Just empty sectors after a certain point you know?
Personally I would be for something with both hard and soft limits and a drastically shrunk galaxy with more dynamic growth instead (one star per sector past a certain point, 0 stars or just limited a bit after that / dark matter monsters / whatever), and for dynamic growth, bring in new galaxies as player needs demand, with creation of black holes and wormholes between them (not just the central black hole, though that could be a centralized galaxy transport: we need some others I think too, that dont necessarily have to connect to another galaxy).
(11-12-2019, 05:33 PM)Ikkir Isth Wrote: black holes and wormholes

Definitely would be nice to have a plan for how stellar black holes will fit into the greater universe before the universe reset. Because yeah it would be very nice if stellar black holes connected to other galaxies in some way, or to other black holes in the same galaxy. It would make pre-warp travel more interesting and a new option for really long distance exploration of far away places.

Could even make something like "space dungeons". Entering a special temporary wormhole that takes you to a temporary solar system filled with space monsters,  space pirates and loot. After a couple days the temporary solar system explode and the wormhole disappears, until a new one appear.
I'll make a separate thread for this.
Here: http://hazeron.com/mybb/showthread.php?tid=2034
Hazeron Forum and Wiki Moderator
hazeron.com/wiki/User:Deantwo
Hi all, I'm new to this game, still learning things however, so far I'm impressed at what this game has to offer, just wondering when this universe restart is happening?