Not a member yet? Why not Sign up today
Create an account  

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Universe Restart?

Allowing empires to control who has access to which starmap data, rather than giving everyone everything, would massively increase player cooperation I believe: a binary choice between total trust and zero trust is harming us at the moment. Integrating this with the mayoral system would seem the appropriate time.

(12-07-2019, 05:25 PM)Vectorus Wrote: Allowing empires to control who has access to which starmap data, rather than giving everyone everything, would massively increase player cooperation I believe: a binary choice between total trust and zero trust is harming us at the moment. Integrating this with the mayoral system would seem the appropriate time.

An option to only allow members to fetch starmap data from sectors part of their domain (and the super sector they are in) would be a nice way of doing it.
Hazeron Forum and Wiki Moderator
hazeron.com/wiki/User:Deantwo

Don't forget to allow for other data that they themselves scanned, outside of their domain, or have sensors enough to cover via airport radar.

(12-07-2019, 07:56 PM)jakbruce2012 Wrote: Don't forget to allow for other data that they themselves scanned, outside of their domain, or have sensors enough to cover via airport radar.

Could do super sector on their domains maybe, that way they would have sensor range around their cities to some extent.

But having all systems that have surveyed would be too much work, as the servers would have to keep travel of who has scanned what systems for what empire. Not worth it for the effort.
If they want to be able to see the surveys of systems that have surveyed, they should just either go there, or make a city to have domain in the area.

That is assume any of it is even possible for Haxus without butchering the whole starmap.

Got a few potential returning players that have asked if the Steam release might be possible at the same time as the universe reset. And figured it would be a good idea to ask Haxus if it was possible, and ask the rest community if they think it would even be a good idea.

On one hand I can see it being a nice idea to have the universe reset accompany the Steam release. The potential Steam players might like the level playing field at launch. But that level playing field would only be brief, since the so called "level playing field" only lasts for about a week and then we are back to the current scenario of one or two groups/empires being in charge of everything.

On the other hand it might be more appealing to other Steam players if the universe is alive and the diplomatic scene a little more stable upon release.

The current universe isn't as dead right now, and the side of Weltreich has shrunk a lot with the current empire size limit. So unless Weltreich goes on another rampage... ok, who am I kidding, they totally will go on a rampage if they think it will force a universe reset faster. But apart from the lunatic monster, the universe isn't horrible like this for a while longer.

Thoughts?

I'd be up for a simultaneous Steam release because it'd probably end up giving a better experience for new players and not feeling like you're entering a stale universe where you stand no chance, especially since things are way more interesting at the start

Also because I'm really hyped for the Steam release, and a reset happening alongside it would be a huge incentive to start playing again
What even

Agreed, if it's possible to reset at release, it would be best for new players. They will still need to learn to play, but there is much more chance for them to get pulled into an old player's empire at that point, and have some guidance at the start.

Also they don't have to worry so much about being attacked by someone hiding 50 sectors away, already with warp tech. At least for the first 2 weeks.

This is all ofcourse assuming Steam will still happen.

(12-31-2019, 04:50 PM)jakbruce2012 Wrote: Also they don't have to worry so much about being attacked by someone hiding 50 sectors away, already with warp tech.  At least for the first 2 weeks.

With the amount of time it takes to research higher warp factors it would take longer than two weeks. Also new warp signatures makes tracing those attacks easier.

The only issue would be star gates, as they can allow an attacker to appear from anywhere once they have an established setup of ringworlds and preons.

This is then made far worse with far off galactic plane hiding, which I still say should just be removed/blocked. Nothing good will come from a infinite galaxy, let alone 19 of them. If a player can fly for a month at warp9 into the void, find a ringworld and then build a base that can never ever be found, we will never be able to counter it.

(12-31-2019, 06:50 PM)Deantwo Wrote:
(12-31-2019, 04:50 PM)jakbruce2012 Wrote: Also they don't have to worry so much about being attacked by someone hiding 50 sectors away, already with warp tech.  At least for the first 2 weeks.

With the amount of time it takes to research higher warp factors it would take longer than two weeks. Also new warp signatures makes tracing those attacks easier.

The only issue would be star gates, as they can allow an attacker to appear from anywhere once they have an established setup of ringworlds and preons.

This is then made far worse with far off galactic plane hiding, which I still say should just be removed/blocked. Nothing good will come from a infinite galaxy, let alone 19 of them. If a player can fly for a month at warp9 into the void, find a ringworld and then build a base that can never ever be found, we will never be able to counter it.

I think we can all agree that the galaxy should have a soft and hard limit at some point, after which the systems per sector density becomes 0, to prevent people from making ringworld colonies trillions of sectors away
What even

Or, so, that people can still hide purely defensively, after the main galactic area becomes a totally one-sided cagefight against whoever becomes Universe 6 Big Bully, stop stargates and broker shipments from  functioning, either sending or receiving, outside a set range from galactic core, while still generating systems.