Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Steam
I will of course think seriously about your ideas! And thanks for taking the time to make your position more clear. I'm just going to clarify a few things of my own right now, though.

I don't play in VoT because I enjoy combat! I even enjoy a bit of territory changing hands sometimes. I am resigned to the possibility of being damaged and accept it as part of the spice of the game. But I don't play to climb the leaderboards and I fight only when I feel I have to, which makes it all the more meaningful. I don't think the existence of conflict or PvP means a game should privilege that playstyle above others, by introducing a mechanic which disincentivizes, with no compensation, the commitment of creativity, time and ultimately money in players for whom conflict is only one among many enjoyable things to do!

To put it another way, the fact that someone can conquer me and destroy my castle makes the game interesting and fair. The fact that my castle may be deleted from on high because Syndicate has conquered someone else and therefore ended a session, less so.

I am also concerned that a two year cycle or even one year is too long for a session game. Most players who tend to play in cycles will unsubscribe within that time, and we need the monthly money. But any faster and the scale of the game becomes skewed, when designing and exploring can take months of casual play in the first place.

As I said, you make good points and I'll think hard about it. I do believe that a 17 Galaxy zone is larger than necessary. Why not make some Galaxies a rapidly reset deathmatch zone for people who like that? A year of a few months? Less?! The SoH zone would be the full, balanced experience involving but not dominated by combat. The Deathmatch zone would be a fast-paced cage fight for those who find that more enticing. Heck, I'd stick some alts in there myself! 

To clarify one more thing, when I called for a '''non-destructive" event I meant one which does not delete game data. I did not mean to exclude combat from such an event.
We've been discussing options in the Discord server, and the only thing that we've all been able to agree on is a wipe of all old-style cities and ships at least a month from now, as long as we're given a clear date for when it's going to happen.

So Haxus, if you're still reading this, the people in support of such a partial reset are:
  • Me
  • Mortius
  • Vectorus
  • Dean (Only if the wipe happens 3-6 months away)
  • Minty
  • Minty in an Anr costume
  • Celarious
  • Probably a lot more.
I haven't found anyone outright opposed to a wipe of old-style cities and ships yet.
I vote for a complete reset
(12-22-2018, 02:55 AM)expert700 Wrote: It would level the playing field.
Not supposed to happen.
This is a sandbox universe, not a chess game.
You level your play field as you pleased. The game provide all the necessary tools.

Quote:It would also likely raise the player count.
If only momentarily. Then the same people who argue for "level play field" will start whining for another reset and soon quit again. It's best to cut those pests early.

Quote:examples similar games have set.
Name me some.

Quote:MMOs that never reset like WOW
WoW reset every 2 to 3 years.

Quote:Eve
Not only it does not reset, it's continually and consistently preserving current content, expanding it and building upon it.

Quote:are simply not comparable, as they have massive player bases and the players in those respective games have relatively little effect on the world.
You do not play Eve, do you?
Your words are so far from truth, I have to conclude you are crafting your responses in hopes that nobody would oppose you.
Bad news… you are busted.
(12-24-2018, 03:39 AM)AnrDaemon Wrote: Not supposed to happen.
This is a sandbox universe, not a chess game.
You level your play field as you pleased. The game provide all the necessary tools.

Those are not comparable situations. When a large empire wipes out everyone else, to level the playing field themselves as you say, history has taught us that most of those people just quit and we're left with a big empire in control of everything. In a reset, everyone is starting from square one.

(12-24-2018, 03:39 AM)AnrDaemon Wrote: If only momentarily. Then the same people who argue for "level play field" will start whining for another reset and soon quit again. It's best to cut those pests early.

That's better than no player boost at all! Also, it's great to know that you think people that don't agree with you are just pests... We really shouldn't be encouraging getting rid of any players, we need everyone we can get.

(12-24-2018, 03:39 AM)AnrDaemon Wrote: WoW reset every 2 to 3 years.

You do not play WoW, do you?
Your words are so far from truth, I have to conclude you are crafting your responses in hopes that nobody would oppose you.
Bad news… you are busted.

I did play Eve in the past, and Eve players do have relatively little effect on the world compared to players in Shores of Hazeron. Eve has so much more structure, with npc factions and stations littering the universe. Territory changes hands and players build things here or there, but everything else stays. Hazeron has no such permanent structure. Everything is created by the players in Shores of Hazeron.
(12-24-2018, 06:26 AM)expert700 Wrote: When a large empire wipes out everyone else, to level the playing field themselves as you say, history has taught us that most of those people just quit and we're left with a big empire in control of everything. In a reset, everyone is starting from square one.
You have twelve galaxies to play with. No single large empire can take control over all of them.

Quote:You do not play WoW, do you?
I do play WoW. Do you know how do you start WoW today? You create a level 110 new character and happily steamroll to 120. Oblivious to any content outside Stormwind/Orgrimmar/Zandalar/Kul Tiras.
You don't, obviously. Else you would know.

Quote:I did play Eve in the past, and Eve players do have relatively little effect on the world compared to players in Shores of Hazeron.
Then you are out of touch with both games you mention.
Citadels are in and outposts are out. POS'es are scheduled to complitely retire soon™.
Try again? Name a game you actually know.
(12-24-2018, 07:25 AM)AnrDaemon Wrote: You have twelve galaxies to play with. No single large empire can take control over all of them.
Exactly. A reset is more far-reaching than anything that a single empire could ever accomplish ingame.

(12-24-2018, 07:25 AM)AnrDaemon Wrote: I do play WoW. Do you know how do you start WoW today? You create a level 110 new character and happily steamroll to 120. Oblivious to any content outside Stormwind/Orgrimmar/Zandalar/Kul Tiras. You don't, obviously. Else you would know.
Anr, you clearly do not play Wow. No one who plays WoW at the level you claim to could conceivably think that the game "reset every 2 to 3 years."

(12-24-2018, 07:25 AM)AnrDaemon Wrote: Then you are out of touch with both games you mention.
Citadels are in and outposts are out. POS'es are scheduled to complitely retire soon™.

I'm not entirely up to date with everything that has happened in Eve recently. I said I played in the past, not currently. You may have noticed that had you actually read what I wrote. No matter, it's still not the same level of control over the universe as in Hazeron. When you start out in Eve, you're in a system with stations controlled by npc factions, with those stations being full of npcs that will hand out missions. There is nothing comparable in Shores of Hazeron. There are neither npc stations that you can travel to to get missions, nor space police roaming around.

You can keep going back and forth with the voices in your head if you want to, but I'm done here. At this point, I can't tell if you're actually just incapable of forming a reasonable argument or baiting me.
hey you two ever play this game called minecraft
(12-24-2018, 05:26 PM)expert700 Wrote: No one who plays WoW at the level you claim to could conceivably think that the game "reset every 2 to 3 years."
Every single piece of gear, material or consumabe I've obtained in the past 3 years is obsolete now, since mid-august.
They could have as well been deleted, that wouldn't change the game much, if at all.
Isn't that a reset in essence?

(12-24-2018, 05:26 PM)expert700 Wrote: I'm not entirely up to date with everything that has happened in Eve recently. I said I played in the past, not currently. You may have noticed that had you actually read what I wrote. No matter, it's still not the same level of control over the universe as in Hazeron.
Not the same? Of course, it's far higher level of actual CONTROL.

Quote:When you start out in Eve, you're in a system with stations controlled by npc factions, with those stations being full of npcs that will hand out missions. There is nothing comparable in Shores of Hazeron. There are neither npc stations that you can travel to to get missions, nor space police roaming around.
So? Are you trying to compare by difference or similarity?
Players in EVE actually create the game. Agents are just currency income, nothing more.
You know, all the talk about the eve corporation system reminds me that they hired someone to write a technical manual for the permission system for corporations and it ended up being some 200+ pages long.

As for the game being feature complete, it is still missing the cybernetics and genetics stuff that is kind of sitting there. Cloaking module I also think doesn't do anything different other then cost more to build. This isn't to say you shouldn't go through with steam, or even put it in early access, its just to point out calling it feature complete is a bit wrong. I do thank you for at least delaying a year to fix a good chunk of the bugs in the game before putting it up there.