Not a member yet? Why not Sign up today
Create an account  

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
More Superstructures: Artificial Planets

I personally don't see how making your own planet is horribly unbalanced with the way I presented it, though it would need tweaks.

- You can't get stone, ore, oil, etc. from one a player makes. Or, if you can, it will slowly deteriorate the health of the planet, until it is destroyed, or maybe permanently decreasing the Q of the planet. Potentially from a server-generated one, but I really don't think you should be able to do it at all.

- Q of logs, plant fibre, food, etc. is dependent on the Q of the planet. So if you build your planet with, say, Q20 metal/stone/whatever, you're gonna get garbage lumber, garbage food, and garbage textiles.

- There is a hard limit on how many can be created in each system - one. This could also be changed to a limit per sector if one per system is too unbalanced (which I now agree might be the case).

- It could function as an alternative to a ringworld when the server generates a system. They could be hollow, with perhaps a large hole in one side of the planet, and would contain a stargate inside. Basically adding more variety to what ancient structures you can find while exploring.

- Ultimately, a player-made artificial planet is worse than an average habitable world in a few ways. With the inability to get non-renewable resources, many materials can't actually be harvested from the artificial planet, like computer chips, plastic, metal, etc.
They are only really good as a source of population, food, and renewable resources, in addition to being able to make a more fortified outpost in lucrative systems that are lacking decent planets. Player-made planets could also potentially contain stargates, but until a better tech system than patents comes along, that would be overpowered, yes.

All in all, either as a player-made construct, an alternative to ringworlds, or both, Artificial planets would be cool and exciting addition to Shores of Hazeron.

Messages In This Thread
RE: More Superstructures: Artificial Planets - by StreetCaptain - 02-07-2019, 03:48 PM