Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Remove the spammers
What the fuck is up with the spammers?
... first, as a dark demon. As a demon, it uses its power to rain death upon the land, and then it dies. However, after a period of slumber, Razgriz returns, this time, as a great hero.
(06-04-2019, 02:39 PM)Slaxx Wrote: What the **** is up with the spammers?

They are just spamming.

Haxus might want to look into getting a better Captcha though.
See: http://hazeron.com/mybb/showthread.php?t...57#pid3157
Hazeron Forum and Wiki Moderator
hazeron.com/wiki/User:Deantwo
Hopefully sooner than later... This is getting out of control.
The spammers are the new, true rulers of Hazeron though. We must embrace their install Norton -insert link- dogma.

We should all start learning the new language if we want to survive.
This is what happens with no active forum moderators.
Yeah installing the reCaptcha v2 plugin might help prevent most spambot account creations, but we have already seen that not all the spam is made by bots, so more active forum moderation would help a lot.

I know Haxus is mostly against hiring a moderator because he can't pay them. But I would say that just payment in form of free gametime would likely be enough for most of us. At least I wouldn't mind helping moderate the forum with that as payment.
I don't mind doing this for free, there are some things that need to be cleaned here.
(08-27-2019, 09:22 AM)Neils Iyssada Wrote: I don't mind doing this for free, there are some things that need to be cleaned here.

I vote for you as mod.
... first, as a dark demon. As a demon, it uses its power to rain death upon the land, and then it dies. However, after a period of slumber, Razgriz returns, this time, as a great hero.
(09-21-2019, 11:14 AM)Slaxx Wrote:
(08-27-2019, 09:22 AM)Neils Iyssada Wrote: I don't mind doing this for free, there are some things that need to be cleaned here.

I vote for you as mod.

Thanks but I'm sure you won't like that.
Been reading up a bit on "nofollow" links. I am not completely sure if MyBB has any builtin features to make some links "nofollow", but it might help discourage the spambots if the links they post don't do anything.

For information about what "nofollow links" are, see this article: https://backlinko.com/nofollow-link
Or you can google it, lots of good articles about it.

I suggest checking what builtin features and options might be available in MyBB by default first. Reading a bit of the MyBB GitHub, it sounds like there might be a user/group permission that can enable nofollow links in signatures or something.

I found one MyBB plugin that has to do with nofollow. And it should work for MyBB v1.8.x, which I assume we are on MyBB v1.8.21 as that is the current latest version.
See: https://community.mybb.com/mods.php?action=view&pid=562

I think we most of all want links in profiles and signatures to have nofollow, actual post links are easier to clean up.
Anyone here know more about this?