Hazeron Forums
2018-11-07 Sticky Roofs, Preview Broken, Turrets - Printable Version

+- Hazeron Forums (https://hazeron.com/mybb)
+-- Forum: Shores of Hazeron (https://hazeron.com/mybb/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Updates (https://hazeron.com/mybb/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+--- Thread: 2018-11-07 Sticky Roofs, Preview Broken, Turrets (/showthread.php?tid=406)

2018-11-07 Sticky Roofs, Preview Broken, Turrets - Haxus - 11-07-2018

Sticky Roofs
Building roofs are sticky. Step off the edge of a roof, such as the airport landing platform, and you fall a bit then get stuck with no way to get free.

Buildings and spacecraft under foot got some attention.
  • Roof surface slope now correct for vehicles driving on top of buildings and spacecraft.
  • Obstruction margins now easier to escape.
  • Obstruction margins reduced slightly. Only affects buildings and spacecraft finalized after this update.
With these changes I was able to make a simple ramp up to a flat area, using a hull, a void, and a site.
  1. I drew the hull extrusion from the side, so I could draw the shape of a ramp going up to a flat area (5 sides).
  2. I placed a hull void (box 1m thick 3m tall) in front of the edge of the ramp where you drive|walk onto it. The void is needed to allow things to move close enough to the ramp to get on top of the ramp slope. Otherwise, the obstruction margin keeps things away.
  3. I drew a site around/under the whole thing because that is required of all buildings. Street lights are an exception but you won't be able to stand on top of portions that extend outside their site.
Surface slope corrections caused my motor bike to orient properly when driving up and down the slope and when parked on top. It was quite smooth to approach the ramp quickly (or slowly), drive up the ramp, and soar off the other side (or fall when moving slowly).

I made a note to make test vehicles inside the design preview.

Hospital Stairs Broken
The stairs at the Hospital by Haxus building do not work. You walk through them. Jumping puts you up on top of them. Dodgy

The stairs started working with the sticky roof bug fix. In fact, a barrier placed inside the steps to make them work can now be removed; it didn't work anyway.

The barrier now works to smooth the stairs and make them feel like a ramp but it is no longer needed. I will remove it and republish the hospital blueprint. Existing instances of the hospital will work as is, with the barrier ramp stairs.

Airport Terminal Sticky
Take the turbo lift to the elevated pad. Step out of the lift slowly. You fall into the floor a little, stuck, unable to get free. There is also an area along one side of the elevated pad that does this.

This happened because parts of the platform overhung the edges of the building's site. The airport terminal is made up of several sites with gaps between them. The overhangs were inside the overall model extents, not outside where they would have caused errors.

The finalize process now checks to insure that all hull vertices are inside a site. This check does not apply to street lights.

I will republish the Airport Terminal and Colony Airport Terminal with the site corrected.

Preview Broken
Preview of building and spacecraft designs while on line does not work.

Fixed client update error when preview started.

Turrets vs Occupants
Turrets do not hit the firing vessel or its occupants. They used to do so in the old style spacecraft.

Changed projectiles to know when it's ok to hit the firer. Previously, the firer was always ignored by projectiles, to support omnidirectional firing by bay weapons.

Transporter Roulette
Open the Hail channel and Hail, then call for a beam up. If there are several ships and/or stations in transporter range, the result is amusing, the first time. After that it is a nuisance.

All spacecraft now open a private channel when replying to hail. Previously, only stations did this. They will still respond en-mass if you call for a beam up on the Hail channel, if you are feeling lucky, but now you can use the channel for the spacecraft you really want.

RE: 2018-11-07 Sticky Roofs, Preview Broken, Turrets - Deantwo - 11-07-2018

(11-07-2018, 09:36 PM)Haxus Wrote: Sticky Roofs
Building roofs are sticky. Step off the edge of a roof, such as the airport landing platform, and you fall a bit then get stuck with no way to get free.

Buildings and spacecraft under foot got some attention.
  • Roof surface slope now correct for vehicles driving on top of buildings and spacecraft.
  • Obstruction margins now easier to escape.
  • Obstruction margins reduced slightly. Only affects buildings and spacecraft finalized after this update.
With these changes I was able to make a simple ramp up to a flat area, using a hull, a void, and a site.
  1. I drew the hull extrusion from the side, so I could draw the shape of a ramp going up to a flat area (5 sides).
  2. I placed a hull void (box 1m thick 3m tall) in front of the edge of the ramp where you drive|walk onto it. The void is needed to allow things to move close enough to the ramp to get on top of the ramp slope. Otherwise, the obstruction margin keeps things away.
  3. I drew a site around/under the whole thing because that is required of all buildings. Street lights are an exception but you won't be able to stand on top of portions that extend outside their site.
Surface slope corrections caused my motor bike to orient properly when driving up and down the slope and when parked on top. It was quite smooth to approach the ramp quickly (or slowly), drive up the ramp, and soar off the other side (or fall when moving slowly).

I made a note to make test vehicles inside the design preview.

So is only fixed on buildings published from now on? Or does it also affect existing buildings and blueprints?

A picture of the ramp might be helpful.

RE: 2018-11-07 Sticky Roofs, Preview Broken, Turrets - AnrDaemon - 11-07-2018

Old-world buildings roofs are still sticky.

RE: 2018-11-07 Sticky Roofs, Preview Broken, Turrets - Haxus - 11-07-2018

Old style buildings are not affected by the change.

All new style buildings are affected.

RE: 2018-11-07 Sticky Roofs, Preview Broken, Turrets - Haxus - 11-07-2018

Here is a pic of the ramp I used for testing.

http://hazeron.com/images/RampTest.png

RE: 2018-11-07 Sticky Roofs, Preview Broken, Turrets - Haxus - 11-08-2018

I did most of my sticky roof testing using the Airport Terminal by Haxus design. It was working great. Now on the real servers, it is sticky to me.

In other words, I am still working on the sticky roofs problem.

RE: 2018-11-07 Sticky Roofs, Preview Broken, Turrets - zslayern - 11-10-2018

Seems like this update might have broken the walls of my spaceship, my avatar just so happened to have phased through the walls of my bridge into a sudden unexpected spacewalk.

This doesn't seem to happen the other way round however, my avatar just faceplanted itself onto the hull of the spacecraft while attempting to reboard the craft.

Blueprint used is 3386803 - Exploration Liner

RE: 2018-11-07 Sticky Roofs, Preview Broken, Turrets - Haxus - 11-16-2018

Now that the debug servers are back up, I will resume work on the sticky walls and roofs, and this related bug.